cakers

RDA Festival Experiences

4 posts in this topic

I'm posting this topic in crosstalk because that's where the comment I'm replying to was, although that topic is now locked.

To MelissaG: RDA is not a really a competition, unless you count the auditions that dancers can do for colleges and intensives. Otherwise there is no judging of performances or scoring. Of course, as in most things, people manage to inject a measure of competitiveness into some things anyway. For example, Gala night performances are generally considered to be "saving the best for last" and so it's generally viewed as desirable to be slated to perform on the final night. From my own observations, at least in the Pacific region, I don't believe that to be true, but it tends to be a prevailing attitude anyway. Personally, I'm happy to have our company perform on the first night so we can get past the nervous part and relax and enjoy the rest of the festival.

cakers, I have moved your topic to the proper RDA forum as well as edited the title. While we do not recommend comparisons here on BT4D, I think that is it good to open a discussion on how the experience of Festival does not make it a competition. Maybe we can discuss the types of classes offered, what the performances are like, and even what happens at the gala banquet. It would also be nice to discuss the adjudication process and the rehearsals that lead up to adjudication... and then the rehearsal process of after the piece is selected to perform at Festival.

The RDA experience is not a competition but each member company is adjudicated by an outside dance professional each year and receives an evaluation on technique and performance. There is a standard that is used and company artistic staff uses the adjudicator's evaluations and comments to see where they are doing well and where improvements can be made.

The companies go to Festival to celebrate the work they have done over the past year and see where they fit in with peers. The classes, auditions, seminars and performances over a 3 to 4 day period of Festival enable the dancers, directors, teachers (and parents) a more comprehensive experience then attending a typical dance competition.

For example, Gala night performances are generally considered to be "saving the best for last" and so it's generally viewed as desirable to be slated to perform on the final night. From my own observations, at least in the Pacific region, I don't believe that to be true, but it tends to be a prevailing attitude anyway.

I'm a few years removed from my last RDA (also Pacific region) but I thought Pacific region distributed pieces over the 3 performances so Gala night was no longer the *best* night?

One of the disadvantages of being in a large company is that (at festival) our company pretty much took up over half of the class - it would have been nice to take class with more students from different companies. In the first national festival I attended (Houston), the companies were all mixed up for class. I'm not sure how they arranged it but it seemed like no more than 2 students from the same company per class. That way, you get to see a wider range of styles and students. Also, we were always with the same other 1 or 2 companies for the entire festival. It probably makes scheduling a lot easier, but kind of dampens the experience a tiny tiny bit.