onpointe2007

What to do next?

5 posts in this topic

I have not been on here in a long time but I thought this might be a good place to ask my question I'm wondering about.

I stated having pain in my knee my sophomore year of high school and now I'm a freshman in college and I am still having problems with knee pain. Over the past 3+ years I have seen two orthopedists and three physical therapists and there have been stretches of times where I am pretty much pain free but then it always seems to reappear. I recently talked to my ballet teacher (taking ballet for non majors) and she suggested seeing a neuromuscular therapist and then if needed a physical therapist and then someone who specializes in Alexander technique to work on my alignment.

So my question is what would you, the moderators, suggest I try next? Should I try another orthopedist or physical therapist? I feel kind of stuck and I don't even know where to start because I have heard so many different things from each doctor or physical therapist I have been to. I hope this question is okay for this board since I'm not asking for specific medical advice, I'm just asking for what options someone with an injury might explore next. Thanks in advance.

Welcome back, onpointe2007, it's nice to "see" you again. :)

I'm sorry you are having knee problems. Has there ever been a definitive diagnosis? It is very important to know exactly what the problem is, try to also figure out the cause, and then figure out how to deal with it. Have you seen an Orthopedic Surgeon who specializes in dancers and athletes? If not, I would suggest that you do that before making any further treatment decisions. The nearest city with a professional ballet company would be the best place to find the right doctor. Call the company and ask for the name of the company Orthopedic doctor. If you are anywhere near NYC, there is the Harkness Center, which is a place specifically for dancers.

Thanks for the quick reply Ms. Leigh. As I said, I have heard many things. It stated as possibly I strained my knee, but that was no longer the case when 6 weeks later it was still hurting. Then over the few years I worked with a couple physical therapists and said I just needed more strength in the muscles surrounding the knee, but I never got a real diagnosis. In the summer of 2012 I was given the diagnosis of patella-femoral syndrome and was in physical therapy for a while, and then was released, but after a month or so it was hurting again so I returned to physical therapy for a while. And now it's a year later and I've been having pain for a couple of months. I have not seen someone who specializes in dancers for this injury because the one we went to for a previous injury had not been helpful, so we decided not to go back to him. I will try to find another orthopedist in my area that works with dancers.

It is really important to get to the cause of this recurring pain. It could very well have to do with something in classes, such as over-rotation, forcing rotation, rolling knees and feet, landing jumps rolling, etc. Do you run or participate in sports requiring running? If not, I think you need to really examine your whole alignment, weight placement, and use of rotation, preferably with a teacher who has a very good understanding of these things and a good eye for seeing the problems. And I still recommend a dancer's physician.

Well my pain originally started when I was at an SI that forced turnout, so since then I try to be careful not to do that. My teacher has been working a lot on my alignment the past few weeks since this semester has started because I mentioned my knee pain to her and she has noticed that some things I do may be putting some added stress on my knees. Thank you for all your suggestions, I appreciate it. :)