eschmitt98

Dance Science

25 posts in this topic

Hello! I've never started a topic before, and I'm clueless about where to put this one, so please feel free to move or close this topic!

So, I've heard about a wonderful new college major... Dance Science!

I know that it's the study of movement in dance, and things surrounding that, but I was wondering if anyone who knows anything about it could tell me a little more about what it's like to study? I love both dance AND science, and even though I'm just a sophomore, I'm looking ahead to college.

Anyway, I should probably get off the computer and start doing homework so I can actually get into a college... :whistling:

I don't know much about it. My DS is a sophomore, and I know he's looking at the BS in Kinesiology/Dance Science at Texas A&M:

http://hlknweb.tamu.edu/degrees-and-programs/undergraduate-degree-programs/dance-science

He wants to become a physical therapist who specializes in dancers, and this seems like it would be a good Pre-PT program.

What colleges are you looking at that offer dance science?

The only one's I've heard about are Goucher College in Baltimore, Maryland, and Elon University in North Carolina. But thanks for letting me know about Texas A&M, slhogan! I've also thought about becoming a dance physical therapist, or something of the like. :)

Hi, eschmitt98,

Here is a (fairly long) paper (pdf) which was put together by the Trinity-Laban Conservatory of Music and Dance.

It is pretty interesting and might give you a bit of an insight into what sort of things one "does" in those studies.

http://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/media/573037/laban_report_single_pages.pdf

-d-

There was a blurb about this in one of the recent magazines... can't remember if it was Dance, Pointe, or Dance Teacher but I'll check tomorrow and post some more info.... I thought it sounded like a really good degree plan for students who want to dance but aren't committed to a performing career or want to go into medicine!

I was really pleased when my son and I discovered this major.

The Texas A&M Bachelor of Science in Dance Science program looks like this:

* Ballet & Modern Dance Classes-- Dance technique, production, composition, dance history, partnering, improvisation, pedagogy, pilates, dance health and wellness,

* Science & Math Classes-- Biology I, Anatomy I, Anatomy II, Physics I, Math 1 (Finite Math), Math II (Calculus)

* Psychology-- Psychology I, Psychology of Sports and Physical Activity

* Nutrition-- Human Nutrition I, Sports Nutrition

* Kinesiology-- Athletic Injuries, Motor Learning, Exercise Physiology, Computer technology in Kinesiology

Admission into the dance program is by audition, and dance scholarships are available to incoming freshmen.

Right now my DS is wrapping up his 10th grade year in high school, and it seems like a program like this would fit into his career plans. His current plans are:

PLAN A) Continue intensively training with a company-affiliated academy. Move up the ranks to trainee, 2nd company, apprentice, corp, etc. Once graduated from high school, take 1-2 community college or correspondence college courses each semester.

PLAN B ) If injured, burned out with dance, or stop progressing (e.g., can't get hired into a company or hired into corp but can't progress any further), transfer from part-time community college into a four-year university to major in Dance Science. Upon graduation, either become a Physical Trainer or Physical Therapist Assistant or apply to grad school to become a Doctor of Physical Therapy.

The classes in A&M's Dance Science major are pretty well aligned with the prerequisites for PT school, but he would have to also take these pre-requisites that aren't included: Biology II, Physics II, Chem I, Chem II, Statistics.

Sounds like he has a plan, slhogan! :) Just be sure he keeps tabs on the various PT schools and their prerequisites. They are not standardized and many have slight differences. Also, it is very competitive to get into PT school these days, so he would be wise to scope out several schools to shoot for and make sure he has covered the prereq for each of them.

Good point to check out pre-reqs at other schools. I was only looking at one Texas PT school, but it would make sense that other PT schools would have other pre-reqs.

PT school does seem about as competitive as medical school! He's dreaming big :) But, if he ends up not getting into PT school, a BS is a good degree to fall back on and completely adequate for working as a Physical Trainer or PT Assistant. I'm hoping he will get about a years-worth of basics out of the way via community/correspondence college before transferring to a four-year college. The current thread about college expenses and financial aid is pretty frightening!

I know Muhlenberg has a dance science track and they have PT co-op program

http://muhlenberg.edu/main/admissions/physicalandoccupationaltherapy/

http://muhlenberg.edu/main/academics/theatre-dance/curriculum/dancescience.html

CSULB also has a dance science track, and Indiana U offers a B.S. in Kinesiology with a dance major. I also believe that with the B.A at UMass Amherst you can focus on Dance Science.

Good info!

I spent a little time last night comparing different Dance Science majors. What I found is that the programs are all very different from each other. When I did college research for my non-dancing daughter a few years ago, it seemed like the majors she was interested in basically looked the same from college to college. The majors of biology, psychology, chemistry, etc were essentially identical in course work from college to college.

That is definitely not true for 'Dance Science' as a major!

-- At one college, Dance Science was essentially a dance major but a few 'Dance Science' classes were included. These classes had DANC extensions and were courses from within the dance department.

-- At another college, Dance science appeared to be pre-med, with chemistry classes all the way through Organic Chem II and Biochem plus a lot of biology classes. It was essentially a biology major with a dance class thrown in each semester. Could be a great option for those who want to study dance medicine or become orthopedists.

-- At a different college, Dance Science was a kinesiology degree, with classes leaning towards things like exercise psychology, physics of motion, injury prevention, etc with a couple of dance classes being included each semester. This is the option that most interests my son, as he is interested in exercise science and physical training.

So, it looks like if you're interested in Dance Science, you should definitely compare several different colleges since the programs do seem to vary a lot!

That's good to know about Texas A&M. I didn't even realize they had a dance program.

They also have a week long intensive in the summer available to high school students so you can see what their program is like.