KCGirlinMD

RDA for non RDA dancer

12 posts in this topic

My DKs studio is not affiliated with RDA. Can we still register and attend in any beneficial way? The oldest, 14, has been accepted to Joffrey NYC summer intensives and year round Jazz program. The youngest to SI at the Rock (Level 2) and is 10.

Just found this forum, and am learning so much, hopefully quick enough, as I am NOT a dancer.

Thanks for the help.

Most RDA festivals have observer options where you can watch classes and seminars and see performances by member companies. Some festivals have an open master class or two for the community. But for a dancer to fully participate in all of the classes, seminars, auditions etc. they must be a member of an RDA member company.

KCGirlinMD, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers!!

If you have an RDA Company within close proximity to your home, it is worth looking into moving your dancer to that studio. The RDA experience is quite wonderful for dancers, as well as teachers, and especially the company as whole. If there aren't any RDA companies close by, it might become a future consideration for you studio, though it might take jumping through a few hoops (establishing a non-profit for one, if you don't already have one).

Beyond RDA, we'd love to hear a little more about your dancer. If you wouldn't mind stopping by the Welcome Forum and introduce yourself and your dancers: age, how many years they have been dancing, how many hours do they dance per week, are they on pointe, and what kinds of goals they have (just to name a few).

We have lots of pinned topics, and a few rules, so there is always lots to read. We look forward to getting to know you (and your dancers) - enjoy all the reading!!

The first time DD and I attended RDA was as observers. DD was 10 or 11 and wanted to see her idol, Gelsey Kirkland, who was teaching. We paid the full observer kit fees and attended the full gamut: observed classes, attended dinners and performances etc.

We originally planned to just go by ourselves as independents, but when I mentioned it to our director, she asked to join us. We left very enthusiastic about the organization and event, and the next year, much to my amazement, we were an RDA Company.

Thanks all.

We are about an hour south of DC. I don't know of any affiliates of RDA, unless I go into the DC or Baltimore arena. I'll head to the welcome section soon. Thanks again.

I am very glad I found this topic, as my DD is interested in attending an RDA Festival coming up soon. I originally thought that it is only for RDA studios, but there is a link for Non-RDA dancers to register. It seems that any dancer can attend. The only question left then is what level-advanced or apprentice? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

In the Pacific region one must be a member to take classes unless your company comes as a guest. There are no open classes for non RDA dancers. Maybe some of the smaller regions allow participation in classes by outside students. I would contact the host of the region in your area and ask....it can't hurt!

I don't think that SERBA allows non dancers to participate either. Are you sure the non-dancer link wasn't simply a "watch" pass?

There is a link for Non-RDA registration, and it has options for full even, one day dancers, gala only, etc. It sure looks like they are allowing non RDA dancers to participate.

After some looking around, it is the Northeast Region who allows non-RDA Members to take class. Dancemom101010, there are 5 different regions to RDA and each region operates in a different way... For the Pacific Region, they allow Guest Companies to attend not individual dancers. It is interesting that the Northeast Region allows individuals - this might be an easier/faster way to build the membership. Lucky you!!

As for which track, in the Pacific there are 3 tracks: Junior, Apprentice, and Performing. The Juniors are 10 - 13, Apprentice ages 13+ and generally consist for 1st year attendee's or dancers who are not performing, and Performing track is also 13+ but consist of dancers who are performing and have rehearsals scheduled into their class packet(s).

It might be best to contact RDA/NE and ask them where best to place your dancer?

Thank you to all who commented on my post, and that you to GTLS Designs for the specific information and suggestions! I will do that!

Edited by dancemom101010

I'm excited you looked into this DanceMom101010. We would be attending the Northeast as well. I will be calling on Thursday to find out as well.