beckyl

Colour of ballet tights?

23 posts in this topic

I had a quick search through and I couldn't see another topic addressing my specific question, so I hope this is OK.

I started off with a three-pack of pink ballet tights. And they're fine. I bought them because I thought pink was the 'correct' colour. Except I don't like them on me :/ I'm very pale and it just looks like I have even paler legs, not like I'm wearing tights at all! (Also, I think it makes my legs look larger and it all looks quite ridiculous with my white leotard- I look like a polar bear!)

I have bought some tan colour tights which I am much happier with. I want some convertible tights for when I start classes so it's easier to put my toe padding in my demi-pointes for that section of the class. Are tan tights OK? My new studio doesn't have a dress code or uniform. I'm not sure what the other students will be wearing yet. I am serious about my ballet and I want to appear so and I know pink is standard.

(I know this is quite a ridiculous thing to be worrying about, I'm just really keen to get things right and make a good impression at my new studio.)

I felt as if I had to wear pink tights when I started back as adult as well. I felt obligated to wear a black leo and pink tights, as I did growing up. Truth is, at least in my experience, most adults wear black tights. They cover a multitude of sins! And. as adults where whatever they like best, I do sometimes see adults wearing tan tights as well.

Your experience may vary. :)

I don't think black tights would go well with my leotards as I have some in pastels! I also understand you can also get white- but I think this would even look worse on me than pink. Thank you for your observations :)

One of the joys of being an adult student is that you can suit yourself (within limits) about classes, attire, and so on. So wear what makes you feel confident and comfortable.

I've recently one back to pink tights & dark leotard -- my legs (although not dancer-slim) look better in pink tights than black & I can see what's going on with my knees and hips.

Thanks. I hadn't considered being able to see knees and hips well. I guess this is probably easier in pink :)

I personally like white tights the most. I'm not sure what it is about pink tights... I hate them. Maybe because they could be flesh colour, but they're not.

I'm a bit of a 'clothes horse' in work and weekend wear and I'm still struggling with my 'style' for class after 6 mo. I know it's not the most important thing but if I look the part I feel the part which is also why I bought slippers before my first class :)

I started in all black. Leo, tights and booty shorts. I think the woman at the dance store assumed id want to hide my body - even though I told her I was fine w form fitting things. Anyway, it was too much black and boring.

I tend to favour my pink or white footless tights w black or plum coloured booty shorts and a black cami. I bought a pair of tan tights but I think they make me look like I have plastic Barbie legs (!) I'd love to find something I can wear them with. Suggestions welcomed :)

I prefer my legs in lighter tights bc I can see what my legs are doing much better and I also find them more flattering on me.

I tend to wear my tan tights with a white leo so then I don't look like some sort of white popsicle! I'm not a huge fan of my pink tights because they also get dirty so easily.

Maybe white might work then? Money is so tight at the moment, I want to play safe, I only need one pair of convertible tights, just for this class.

In my experience, capezio ballet pink turns grey. but their pale pink will wash to a pretty white color. And the pale pink runs better, too.

I dont really like tan tights as the color is too similar to my own coloring, makes me look naked.

This is kind of the issue I have with my pink tights. Because I'm pale, someone once said to me, 'are you wearing tights? You look really pale!'

I've found a website that has 20% off a brand right now which make them quite cheap - they come in tan or pink so I need to pick my poison.

ETA: Ended up playing safe and going with pink.

Edited by beckyl

Maybe white might work then? Money is so tight at the moment, I want to play safe, I only need one pair of convertible tights, just for this class.

Just go with what YOU like! Tan with a white leo sounds lovely. I just got some new leotards today by mail order & there'll be a dancer in VERY bright red in the studio next week!

Thanks :) I have a very bright yellow leo that I hope I'll be brave enough to wear to class!

Cool!

A late contribution… There is pink and pink. For example, in performances I wear tights in what Bloch Australia calls "theatrical pink" (this being the colour agreed upon), but for class wear I much prefer to wear the slightly richer colour known as "salmon pink". (I also have a pair of tights in a third shade of pink that matches exactly the MDM ballet slippers I wear – the colour is fine but I don't like the actual tights so much.) So perhaps it's a matter of trying different brands/colours and identifying the preferred shade of pink, especially if you don't want to stand out in class because of your tights colour.

I accidentally bought a pair of tan tights once but have never worn them – they would clash with my slippers/pointe shoes. I'm keeping them for the day I take up tap (a little fantasy I've held since childhood!).

Black tights I steer clear of. I'm not overweight but also by no means stick thin; my legs are slightly on the short side. I'm slightly envious of women who can pull off black tights, but to my eyes black tights make my legs look fat and heavy, so that's my vain reason for avoiding them. And of course they make it more difficult for teachers to see and correct your technique with ease, which is the main reason I avoid them. :)

Interesting! I had never thought that black tights could be unflattering. I have been sticking to them since I started adult ballet classes. May be I should try pink then.. I would be also happy to change black leos for more colourful ones. A thing to do is to look at videos of professional companies classes (for instance Royal Ballet) and copy their clothing styles! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNQWyWuvz_U