beckyl

Satin Ballet slippers?

11 posts in this topic

I have serious trouble finding ballet slippers that 'agree' with my big toes!

So far I have tried the Bloch Arise (didn't like the single elastic strap,) various Tanzmuster (leather and canvas) from Amazon, Capezio Juliet and Chalcott soft. None have 'felt right.'

I wear generally a UK size 4-5 in street shoes. Ballet shoe size 5 is too small, 5.5 still presses on my toes and a 6 is too big. I have some minor involuting of my big toenails and ballet shoes seem to hurt this. I have a very high profile. Also cotton drawstrings tucked in tend to REALLY press on the top of my foot (sometimes even leaving a little bruise) as I have a high arch.

The only thing that feels comfortable is a Satin slipper. Tanzmuster, split sole with an elastic drawstring. It's the only thing so far that hasn't hurt my toes.

I haven't yet tried a more 'contemporary' style shoe such as the Bloch pro elastic without a drawstring but I don't really like the pressure of elastic (if that makes sense.)

I dance at quite a classical/traditional studio. Most of the girls wear leather or canvas, a few wear satin. I'm expanding my ballet dramatically soon and wonder if people will think it strange if I rock up in satin shoes? Will it be frowned upon as 'not proper ballet dress?'

Otherwise does anyone else have any ideas of some other models I could try?

Thanks

I have high arches and prefer to have a shoe that allows for full articulation through the 3/4 pointe. I dance and teach in Sansha canvas ballet flats. I intentionally get them a size too big and a size too wide and wash them in the washing machine on "warm" before wearing them. They shrink a bit and then do not shrink any more with subsequent washings (I hate dirty looking shoes, so prefer to be able to wash mine).

I have no problems with the drawstring, as there is easily room in the shoe to tuck them in. I don't tie them in a knot, just tuck them in.

It sounds as if your shoes may be too tight? I regularly send my students back to the ballet store because they were given shoes that fit too tightly and are not long enough.

Maybe, it's not something I've considered. I have very wide forefeet but usually just get an M but then I tend to have a big gape in demi-pointe?

You need to use whichever shoes fit you best. The only thing with satin slippers is that they don't last very long. And it may look a little like you are indulging in the "ballerina fantasy" rather than seriously wanting to learn the art & craft and technique of ballet . But your seriousness of purpose will be clear from the attitude with which you take class, and no-one will notice your shoes.

Did you go to a proper ballet shop to buy your shoes? They will be able to fit you, even for soft slippers, and you can maybe try out a few different styles. I have wide feet and find that canvas split soles do me very nicely -- either Bloch or Sansha. I try to get the ones with an elastic drawstring. I put the shoes on and pull the drawstring tight and knot it (not a bow!) . Then wear them a few times. When I'm sure that the length of the drawstring is right, I tend to cut the ends off quite short above the knot. Then I can tuck that little bit in, or leave it out, but it doesn't flop around or get in the way. I know what you mean about the extra drawstring digging in to your feet!

Also, are you sewing the elastic on correctly? I use a criss cross elastic, and position the back points for attachment of the elastic but folding the heel forward towards the sole. Where the crease comes in the top edge of the shoe is where I position the back end of the elastic. Then once that's sewn in, I put the shoes on & fiddle about with where I want the front end of the elastic to go: I generally try to ensure a rise on demi pointe.

I like Pas de Quoi's method of washing shoes and using the shrinkage to your advantage. One thing I've done is to run my shoes through a normal wash, and then after a spin dry -- but NOT a tumble dry -- I put on the shoes while they're damp. They mould nicely to my feet by doing that.

This is what I'm afraid of with satin shoes. I'm in class to learn and work hard to improve. The Capezio Juliets are OK at a pinch but the drawstring still pinches!

I have not yet been 'fitted' as such as I don't have a dancewear store anywhere nearby unfortunately. Perhaps next time I am in London I could go and try on a few models in Bloch and Sansha.

I buy shoes with elastics pre-sewn. I have checked and the heel line is where you describe it should be.

If the shoe fits snugly without pulling the elastic, why don't you just remove it?

Also, can I just say that I hate new slippers? It always takes several classes before I am used to how a particular slipper feels, that I'm used to the drawstring, the elastics etc -- and this is when they are the right length. I'm a bit concerned that you've tried so many on -- remember that sizing does not always correspond to street shoe size -- it's best to check what the sizing for a particular brand is. There is a dance shop in Woodstock if you don't want to head to London.

gav- I need a bit of tightening (but not too much!) with my capezio juliets I've knotted the string and cut it off.

Ami- I can't find that dance shop in Woodstock via a google search- could you tell me or PM me the name? I always order a 'UK size 5' or if they recommend going up a size a 6 (but these always tend to be too big! I have very awkward feet.)

Maybe you could try the Bloch Zenith

They're made of a stretchy fabric

They come in different widths, elastic drawstring, criss cross pre sewn elastics, split sole

To me they feel like socks

I find them very flattering on high arches

SoDanca also makes a canvas/elastic shoe. No drawstring, and the canvas stretches to fit the foot. I found them to be very comfortable!

Hi everyone,

Just as a follow-up I have been dancing in my Tanzmuster satin split soles. Thanks <b>deanlaur</b> for suggesting the So Danca- I went for the SD16 new model and they seem OK so far but I have yet to take a class in them. They don't feel tight or 'pinchy' yet - I'll keep you posted!