Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Redbookish

Adult Ballet [Summer] Intensives, 2015

10 posts in this topic

We have a long running Adult summer intensive thread, pinned. Loads of useful information. But it started years ago!

So I've started this shiny new thread, and hope people will post up details of Intensives (Summer, Winter, Spring) as well as reviews of intensives they've attended.

With reviews, we all appreciate hearing about:

* detail of classes, curriculum covered

* what you learnt

* direct personal experience and opinion of the intensive you attended

* performance opportunities

* pointe work taken

* partnering opportunities & learning

* constructive comments on what worked, and what didn't

* Respecting each other's experiences and opinions

I know I'm not the only one to get nervous about levels of experience, so that's something that we like to hear about, as well as just -- well, everything!

Something about what you did in preparation for the Intensive might help others, and also about the non-ballet bits (social life, accommodation & so on).

So opening up for 2015: tell us your summer plans, the intensive near you, the 'hidden gems' you know about, that others may not have heard of.

And here's the first announcement of a NEW Adult summer intensive in Toronto, Canada, Monday, June 22 – Friday, June 26, 2015:

http://danceteq.com/summer-dance-camp/

Here's a summary:

Dance Teq is excited to present its first ever Adult Summer Dance Camp! Our goal is to create a fun and friendly environment where dancers can improve and try new things, and we have enlisted a group of exceptionally talented instructors with experience teaching serious yet recreational adult dancers to bring that vision to life. So that every student can receive personalized feedback, enrolment will be limited to 20 people.

It looks wonderful -- lucky Torontonians (is that the right word?)

Boston Ballet School offers an Adult Summer Dance Program. This year the dates are August 3rd - 14th, weekday evenings, 6:30-9:00pm with an optional add-on from 5:30-6:30.

I took it last summer. The enrichment session from 5:30-6:30 alternated between Pilates and modern -- the beginner and elementary levels were combined in one class and the intermediate and advanced dancers were combined in the other. I'd say maybe a third of participants took the enrichment session (there is an additional cost for this). Ballet technique was from 6:30-8:00 with each level in its own class. Afterwards we would typically have a repertory or variations class (the intermediate and advanced levels were combined for this, but the beginner and elementary levels each got their own). I think they intended to use some of this time for more "workshop" type classes focusing on jumps or turns or whatever, but that didn't really happen. They also sprinkled in some talks during the two weeks: one was a current teacher who was one of the original Boston Ballet dancers, another was current dancers, and a third was the company physical therapist. There was also an option for a few participants to go into the Boston studio on a weekday to watch company class (unfortunately this was limited to 20 people and I had to work anyway). There was no pointe or partnering included; there was a partnering element to the variation we learned, but that was it. The ratio of men to women, especially at the intermediate level and advanced level, was about 2:48, so it would have been hard to make that work anyway.

Most of the teachers are on faculty at Boston Ballet School and I was impressed with the amount of attention they gave to everyone. I left the program feeling like I had gained a ton of strength and a lot of tips for how to improve different elements, both technical and artistic. There were (sadly) no miracles, but it was great to be in an environment where adults were taken seriously. We did have an opportunity on the last day to invite friends and family to come and watch us perform the repertory pieces we'd learned. They insisted that it wasn't a "performance" but for a lot of the adults there it was a rare opportunity they had to show off "this ballet thing" for their loved ones, so that was nice.

The program was great for me since I work in Boston and it allowed me to do an intensive without having to take any time off from work. I'm not sure if it's intense enough to warrant coming in from out of town for the program, especially since it spans two weeks, but I'm sure you could make a vacation out of it if you really wanted to. It is at their Newton studio which is more suburban. I rarely drive into work (I live about 50 miles outside the city), but ended up driving in during the program because it was too difficult to get to and from the studio using the T (our public transit system) and was much easier to have a car, so that's a consideration, as well. I thought it was great that they offered so many different levels, from absolute beginner to experienced. I took the intermediate simply because the description for the advanced class made it sound scary, but there ultimately wasn't much difference between the two. They ask you to select a level when you register, but you can switch once you get there if you find the level you chose not quite right, so no worries there, and within each level I'd say there was a fairly wide range of abilities.

Overall a good program, hoping to be able to do it again this summer, just waiting to hear whether my home studio/company is doing a summer ballet before I commit.

And here's another announcement of an Adult Summer Intensive in Winnipeg, kindly forwarded to me by one of our Teen Dancers -- Thanks, ascballerina!

http://rwb.org/school/recreational-division/programs-rec/adult-summer-dance

There must be something in the water up there in Canada ... two major intensives for Adult Dancers.

And thanks, arciedee for a really detailed & informative account of the Boston Ballet Adult Intensive.

here must be something in the water up there in Canada ... two major intensives for Adult Dancers.

Well, there is a lot of water up here! :wink:

Lexington Ballet Company in Lexington, Kentucky is offer an adult intensive.

http://www.lexingtonballet.org/school_adult.html

And here's the first announcement of a NEW Adult summer intensive in Toronto, Canada, Monday, June 22 – Friday, June 26, 2015:

http://danceteq.com/summer-dance-camp/

Here's a summary:

Dance Teq is excited to present its first ever Adult Summer Dance Camp! Our goal is to create a fun and friendly environment where dancers can improve and try new things, and we have enlisted a group of exceptionally talented instructors with experience teaching serious yet recreational adult dancers to bring that vision to life. So that every student can receive personalized feedback, enrolment will be limited to 20 people.

It looks wonderful -- lucky Torontonians (is that the right word?)

Yes, Torontonian is the right word :)

I was so excited when they announced the summer dance camp because it's in my city. Unfortunately the program's geared for those at an intermediate level or above (I'm not quite there yet).

Edited by candice

Dance Teq is now running two camps in Toronto this summer: one beginner-elementary, and one intermediate. They're in different weeks.

There's more info here: http://danceteq.com/summer-intensives/

(also posting here because I couldn't distinguish the purposes of the two threads)