balletgilly3

Online High School Suggestions?

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to Carlisle, Pennsylvania in September to attend CPYB. I am 16 and will be entering 11th grade. I am searching for an online high school because the schedule at CPYB is so intense that the local high school would not be a good fit for me. Please keep in mind that I would like a program that will prepare me for a four-year college in case ballet doesn't work out (if I do (hopefully) become a dancer, I will be pursuing an online degree in either nutrition or physical therapy). I would like input on the following programs if anyone has tried them:

-Commonwealth Connections Academy

-Keystone

-James Madison High School

-Penn Foster

-Forest Trail Academy

Are there any others that you can think of? And if you have tried them, can you tell me:

1. How many hours you spent on it each day, and how many courses you took?

2. Was it too challenging, too easy, or just right?

3. Do they offer AP classes?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it :)

I am currently using North Star Online School. I really like it. On average it takes me 30 min-1 hr for each lesson. It takes the full 1 hr time for honors classes. It is just right. What you sign up for is what you get. I am taking honors and normal classes and the honors ones of course are harder and have more assignments. They offer a lot of classes including AP, pre AP, Honors, and normal. They have a College Prep diploma option as well. It offers a flexible schedule and there is a lot of teacher contact between students and teachers. It is definitely worth a look at! Good luck in your decision and if you have any other questions I can try to answer them.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely look into it :)

Thanks for the advice! I have looked into it but it doesn't seem as flexible as other programs (while keystone is very flexible and a branch of k-12, it does cost money)...I will look into it more though, thank you!

I hear good things about K-12. Not familier with ones from the States, but you can look into it. :)

I used to use K-12, and it was OK. It didn't really stick with me, but really, it depends on what you're looking for.

I use Indiana U. High school program. i looked into Keystone, but it was expensive and used K-12 curriculum. I wanted a curriculum that was similar to my college-prep high school and had full flexibility. You have 1 year to complete a class, and midterm/finals are proctored, which makes it seem more like a regular class. They are very helpful. I felt like Keystone was more about 'selling' us the program, than actually interested in me as a student. I've also taken online college classes in place of AP classes, but they offer those too.

I would suggest you don't try to take more than two classes at a time until you know what you can handle between dance and school.

Parents, please note this is the Young Dancers' Forum. :wink: A couple posts have been removed per the Rules of the Forum. There are many threads discussing the various online programs that parents have and can participate in.

Please let's leave this one to the Young Dancers' to discuss the various programs from their points of view and experiences. :thumbsup:

Agora Cyber Charter School and Pennsylvania Virtual Charter School are also through K12, but they're public schools, so they don't cost any money. I do South Carolina Virtual Charter School, and I find it to be equal to or above regular brick and mortar public school in terms of academics. They offer some AP classes, but the flexibility is less than great. At least at SCVCS (I don't know what it's like at Agora or PVCS) we can only work ahead within the week, and have to have everything turned in by Sunday at midnight to receive full credit. This is not fun at all during Nutcracker and recitals. Also at SCVCS, you are required to attend the live classes (twice a week per subject for about an hour) or watch the recordings which takes a large chunk of time out of the day, but it may be different at Agora and/or PVCS, so I think it'd be worth looking into!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! pinktights24, how long would you say it takes you to complete each course (one lesson-ish) each day? I would probably have to take 5-6 classes, but I would split it up (2 one day, 3 the next day, etc).

I use the Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School program. It is an online school that is run very similarly to a normal brick and mortar (public school). With PA Cyber you take at least 5 courses per semester (you choose them yourself from the course catalog but you Academic Advisor helps guide you with what you need along the way). There ARE AP classes which is great. Also, I found some classes challenging and others easier. They have 3 different types of classes, virtual, non-virtual and blended. In a virtual classroom class you meet 2-3 times a week at a scheduled time with your live teacher and classmates and have your lesson for 1-1 1/2 and then you have homework. In a non-virtual classroom you do all the learning yourself. You don't have to log into a classroom and listen to a teacher but a teahcer is on call to be able to help you. Blended classroom mixes both of these classes. At the beginning of the year you meet once a week every week and then have homework to do the rest of the week. If you maintain an A or B in that class during the beginning of the year, you do not have to attend live lessons (the teacher will tell you whether you have to or not). PA cyber also has a lot of clubs (including National Honor Society). In addition, all your schoolwork has deadlines. Some things may be handed out on a tuesday and due the next day or some things may be due a week later. But you are not given 365 days to do all your school work. That is why PA Cyber is a good program, because it is run a lot like a normal school. Also, if I am recalling correctly, it is free. A lot of programs are not. They also supply you with a laptop, printer and supplies. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

North Star is really flexible! That is why my family chose it in comparison to Keystone. Like Keystone, you have 1 year from the day you started to complete the class. There are no other requirements. We just liked how the teachers really interact with the students. Also, they are starting a program next year where you will have certain assignments due on certain days but no one is required to take that. The "normal/flexible" option is available as well.

balletgilly3-you have to remember that these type of classes may require more time than you think: you have to teach yourself (read your lesson/material, take notes,watch video, get help, etc) and then do homework. It just takes longer. Depending on how many hours per day you dance, taking 5 classes could be difficult, especially during Nutcracker season. If you are going from dancing 2 hours/day to 6, you will be tired and tackling 4-5 hours of schoolwork will be tough.

I can dance up to 10 hours/day, so that doesn't leave much time for 5 classes, or even 2. I did it the first semester, and really struggled, so I cut back to 2 classes so that I didn't get overwhelmed. For my 2 classes, I try to put in 3 hours a day. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but that's usually all I can fit into my day.

I think if I take 5 and split it up (3 one day,2 the next)I should be OK, as I will be dancing a little less than you (5-6 hours a day) . Also my ballet classes won't start until around 3 p.m. and I would start my schoolwork at 8:30, so hopefully I would be done by 1:30 and have a little break? What do you think? (I will be living just a few blocks from the studio so it is only a 10 minute walk)

BTW, I am doing one online class now with Florida virtual school (AP Environmental Science) and it takes me about an hour and a half to complete a lesson. I really don't think I can take less than 5 as I need to graduate on time and have all my credits by the end of senior year