Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndrewUK

Height

3 posts in this topic

I called in at the school I used to attend and will be again from next week, after my layoff these last few months. There is a new lad, that started with them 4 months ago, he is 17 and everyone says including teacher he is a born natural dancer. I waited about to watch and after the class was talking to him, it seems he does a class every night of the week, at this school and another (both know) plus barre work at home, where is Father has installed one in a converted garage. Must say watching the class can see how good he is.

Anyway get to the point !

He is only 5'5" and has applied at all UK company's and some in Europe , not one would give him an audition all stated because of his height, he was telling me he did get to go to one actual audition in Canada, they said he was exceptional but because of their height criteria they could not take him, but said if need arises for a male dancer in his height range they would get in touch for special performances etc.

Seems that because of height , this lad will never make it, which seems a real shame given his life is ballet and his potential. Maybe like many things in life today the focus is on certain criteria rather than overall ability or a person.

Does he do only classical ballet or contemporary dance, too?

I know in contemporary the companies like to have a wider range of body types, for contrast. In the contemporary company here they have 1 or 2 very short men, too - they are able to turn and move very fast.

A solid ballet education is needed for contemporary, they do 1,5 hours of ballet training every morning in the company, too. So perhaps he could take contemporary hours additional?

He only wants to do Ballet, that's where is "heart" is so to speak, I will mention to him, next time I see him, I know he recent applied to a couple companies in Asia, maybe he might have more luck over there,