Noodles

Summer Dance, SIs etc....?

33 posts in this topic

DD-just-turned-10 is staying in her home studio. She is doing one week of an all-day dance camp then 4 weeks of Monday through Thursday classes, 1-2 hours per day. Most hours are ballet, but theatre, character, jazz, and modern are also incorporated for more variety than she usually gets in the school year. She is very excited!

Awww! That poor little girl. It's good to see them inspired and wanting to participate.

Mom de deux - So cute! Love to see the little ones so motivated to dance. :)

It definitely makes me feel good to see that she likes it. She's excited for her classes to start this week and was carrying her dance bag around all weekend.

DD is 11.5 and since I work in the city, she'll be commuting in with me and attending some day programs in the area. But first she has to wait 5 more weeks! In the meantime, she's finishing up the school year (1 more week), going to art camp, hanging at home, and indulging in many hours of Sculpey play. Hopefully she'll do some organizing(!). Then it's off to ABT YDSW (2 weeks) and Manhattan Youth Ballet (3 weeks).

DD12 will be attending the 5 weeks at the Rock. Her 1st time at an away camp. I am feeling sad as I finish up the last minute packing.

DD9 had a few vacation weeks including this week watching a lot at Jacob's Pillow! Then the Rock for 5 weeks--she will probably meet your DDs there L_One and Sunnydance! It's really a great first SI --very positive atmosphere :)

Thank you sec - that is very reassuring!

L_One you're quite welcome :) My family lives in Philly, so we actually sent DD last year as an 8-year old as a commuter, and she had a great time. At just barely 9 now, I'm still not quite ready for her to board anywhere especially for that long, but all the kids (and teachers too) were super friendly and happy as far as I could tell!

We also traveled and did 1 week of a pre-pro intensive before the SI started at home. In August there are no classes at her school, so we are planning on having a few private lessons since Nutcracker auditions are the first of September!

Edited by shopping*mommy

10 yr old DD just finished with SI and off to church camp for a week then taking two technique classes a week in July along with privates from AD then open classes in August till Fall classes start late that month . Though she shows great facility she is too young to get all up about falling into the trap of year round training full bore as she is not a prodigy.

My DD (11) started at our home studio's SI three weeks ago. Early last week, a loud pop behind her ankle announced the arrival of Achilles tendinitis, and she's been forced to take two weeks off. Devastated is not quite strong enough of a word. Next week she will be able to start taking evening classes, but will only have classes for two weeks before the Summer session ends. She'll be starting PT right after that (for a different, but possibly related issue), and then, hopefully, will be able to attend a three week August course at a local pre-pro "company".

This is the Summer ballet kicked DD :(

tldx, I am sorry to hear about your DD's achilles! I can imagine how hard it must be to have to miss out on some of her intensive.

Hopefully the PT will help, it has been very helpful to my DD although her achilles was not the issue!

DD (8) is at a SI for two weeks at our province's ballet school (I'm in Canada), then vacation for two weeks and home for a bit and then dance camp at her home studio a couple of weeks before school starts.

DD, age 10, just finished week 2 of 4 at a local SI. She attends 5 days per week, and is really enjoying pantomime and jazz as new classes to her. Also, learning variations-- which is not offered until the highest level at our year round ballet school. She's loving it!

Week 1 of my daughter's SI is done and she hasn't yet said "I miss you" or "I want to come home." I'll admit, a part of me wishes she were at least a little bit homesick but for the most part, I'm glad she's not because it means she is having fun. She even got sick this week and the RA/staff were great. I'm now starting to feel confident in my decision to let her go, she's got the personality for a longer-term break from family at 11.

L_One so glad she's loving it! Do you know to check their FB page for daily photo updates? That may make you feel a little closer to being there with her :)