Wild538

Better ballet training?

8 posts in this topic

I am a 14 year old girl that wants to become a professional ballet dancer. I`ve danced since I was 7 or 8, but I didn`t start to take ballet siriously before I was 12. When I started looking more into the world of ballet(this site has helped me quite a lot) I figured my studio was not good enough. I live in Norway, and in my area there are not many, if any, good schools (tough there are some better than my studio). This is how my schedule looks like:

Monday Thursday Friday

1 hour and 15 minutes ballet 1,5 hours ballet 1 hour and 15 minutes ballet

1 hour jazz (sometimes) 0.5 hour stretch

I take all ballet classes possible, and there are only one jazz class and one modern class I do not take (I am not allowed of my parents). This fall I`ve also started to do a few barres/strenght training in addition to my classes at home. It is not easy to fit them in, because I have a very busy schedule and very limited space. I do some of Kathryn Morgan`s barres, if some of you know who she is. Do you have any tips or advise for me? (Sorry if my english is not very good.)

Your English is just fine, Wild538. :)

As I think you know, your current training is not going to get you to a professional level. At 14 you need to be in daily technique classes of at least 1.5 hours, plus pointe classes at least 3 times a week. Have you checked out the other schools in your area? You may need to travel a bit, or even go to a residence school in order to get the training you will need.

Thank you for replying, Ms. Leigh. Yes, I know I do not get enough training, and I really want to go to another school. The thing is, the closest school are one hour from where I live, and it is not very good. I don't want to be mean, but I've seen two of their nutcrackers, and it is not good. The other(s?) in my area are 1,5 hours from where I live, if we don't have to wait for the ferry, then it can be up to at least two hours. I don't know much about the school there(their website don't say very much), but I know they don't have enough classes there, either. I am definitley willing to go to a residence school, but I don't think my parents would let me. Do you eventually have any tips to convinve my parents that I have to go to a residence school to get enough quality training?

Perhaps the first step would be to research residence schools. Our topic on Residence and Pre-professional Schools are primarily in the US, but there are a few others. Check it out, make a list of any that you think might be possible for you, and note things like tuition, room and board, age requirements,and academic programs. Some have online academics and some have regular schools attached. Your parents would want to know all of these things before even considering the idea.

Thank you for your quick answer, Ms. Leigh. I will definitley do my research on schools:).

I have now done quite a bit of research, and I could not find any residence schools in Norway at all. The closest would be in Sweden. I don't want to travel that long just yet. The alternative would then be to live in an apartment/house while attending a school. But then my whole family would probably have to move. I do not think my parents will allow that. What do you think I should do?

I'm sorry, Wild538, that does sound like a difficult situation. I don't think there is anything you can do until you are ready to travel to a residence school, or until you are old enough to live on your own away from home.

Oh...Ok, thank you for helping me Ms. Leigh:)