RocknRollBallerina

Colleges: Simon Fraser University

9 posts in this topic

I am so terribly sorry if there is a topic on this, but I could not find any information on it on this website. Does anyone have any experience with the SFU dance program? I believe its more contemporary but ballet technique is in the curriculum so I wanted to see if anyone here has gone or knows anyone who has gone through it, and would they recommend it?

Edited by RocknRollBallerina

RocknRollBallerina, I'm sorry, but I have never heard of this University. I don't think anyone has posted about it before. Where is it? What does their website look like? Do they they show photos of ballet? Do they list their faculty for dance classes or show that they have a dance major?

This University is in British Columbia, Canada. :)

If memory serves it is one of the schools with a joint program with the NBS teacher training program (just checked, and yes my memory was correct).

Looking quickly at a few photos online it does seem to be more contemporary, however given the partnership with the NBS Teacher Training program, the ballet would need to be of a good standard.

Hope this helps.

mom2

I live near SFU and will ask the dance world about their program. Watch this space

Thank You!

This is completely tangential, but SFU is the only non-US college or university that competes athletically in the NCAA.

I hate to be too much of a bother, but I can not seem to find any information on the SFU dance program other than what the university itself puts out, and I am strongly considering attending this university, I wanted to re invigorate this thread. As there is very little general information out there, ill only put fourth my two main questions:

1. Does anyone know how many people audition and how many people get accepted? I would like to know my odds.

2. what is the dress code for the ballet classes? all they say on their website is leotards and tights for girls, but they don't say what colour the leos have to be, what style, what colour of tights... I know it can mean that anything goes, but I would absolutely hate to end up spending a couple hundred dollars on leos only to find out that I couldn't wear them. If anyone has any experience with this program I would love to hear about it.

Edited by RocknRollBallerina

Hi me again. Sorry i didnt get back to you. I didnt have any luck with the people i asked but you have reminded me and i will try again.

regarding Simon Fraser U - I know someone who teaches in the dance dept. there but not Ballet. The best way to find out all that info you are looking for is to specifically call or email admissions of the dance department itself. Most colleges are happy to talk with you about all aspects if you call them!