mom2dancinggirls12

Summer plans?

48 posts in this topic

It's that time of year again where we all are coming close to knowing what the summers for our DKs will look like.

Anyone care to share?

DD12 will do two weeks at Rock, 4 weeks at our home intensive (home intensive is full day, small classes, lots of personal attention--pretty awesome deal all around), and then a week of sleep-away camp nearby. Thousands of dollars later.... ;)

I need to get busy on DD10's plans. So far she is doing one week of day camp and one week of sleep away camp. I'm not sure what else she may do, but we are waiting to find out what kind of schedule her gym has in the summer before committing to anymore.

I think we are going to do Ballet Austin's summer children's program (2x a week for 6 weeks) and a little 1 week 3 hour/day camp offered at a more local studio.

My kids will only be 8&6 this summer though so we are keeping things pretty low key.

After going away to SI's last summer, we are staying home this year. DD will start off the summer going to a week of church camp. Then she will have 2 weeks of her home studio's SI, dancing 5 hours a day! The rest of the summer will be just regular summer lessons.

"Thousands of dollars later" Laughing out loud at how true this is. Even our home SI isn't exactly cheap.

DD11 (12 in June) is headed to Cedar Island for two weeks, it's her first away SI and she is hovering somewhere between thrilled and ecstatic. We'll also do some time at our home SI before and after her weeks away. It is full day, and runs most of the summer, but we are going to be selective about what weeks she attends. She's especially excited to take advantage of some great guest teachers at home. She'll probably also continue her privates and I hope to find a way for her to visit her private instructor's SI for a few days.

I know she is also hoping to spend some time just lounging at the pool and generally being a kid.

On the other end of the spectrum, DD5 is hoping to get moved up from pre-ballet to regular ballet and is planning to take 2 of the 4 weeks of afternoon classes offered at her level. I'm betting they don't move her up until fall, which will disappoint her, but she'll want to dance anyway.

One week contemporary ballet SI at her home studio then 6 weeks in Houston. She'll have a week off between the two and then a few weeks off after Houston before the fall ballet schedule starts up again.

Concrete plans so far for DD 12, four weeks at our home SI and one week of Girl Scout camp. She's on the waiting list for an animal conservation camp at the zoo and keeping her fingers crossed for an invitation to a certain contemporary SI hosted at our home studio. If those fail, she has a spot at a [professional] theater group's summer program. We'll see.

Thousands later, no kidding. Ouch.

It certainly will be an expensive and busy summer. DD 12 (13 when summer comes) will go to Bolshoi CT for 3 weeks, take off a week, then 3 weeks at her home studio 5x a week, 5hrs a day. After the summer showcase, it is off to vacation for the final weeks. DS is a baseball player so he will be busy with summer league through July. So happy they both have something they love but really looking forward to our family time in August!

First year doing an SI and first year DD (11) has wanted to do the sleepaway Jewish camp her friends go to. So 2 weeks at Joffrey, on the wait list for 2 weeks at overnight camp (we didn't realize it filled up so fast and we didn't know our schedule until after auditions/replies), 1 week of local day camp she loves and does every year, 4-5 days of family camping and white water rafting, and lots of swimming, trips to the beach and hanging out with friends. She's spent the last 2 years at a year round school with insanely short summers so this year she'll get a real summer again. She's very excited about everything.

Her home studio has regular classes for part of the summer, some time off, and this year is planning two weeks of intensive (which is usually 2-3 hours a day), in different months. We'll do as much of that as we can, and ditto for her contemporary studio. It's nice to know we can take time off when we want to but she'll still get to dance lots, which she wants.

First year of doing summer intensives for dd10. She will do two weeks at Master Ballet's Summer Intensive in Scottsdale and then another two weeks at SAB young dancer in California. We will take class at our home studio and another ballet studio during the month of June, as well as fit in a family vacation in June.

Studio recital in early June. Then first summer intensive for DD(10). She's going to Gelsey Kirkland for 3 weeks and her older sister and I are tagging along. I'm looking forward to exploring the city with my oldest daughter while DD dances. We're staying a few days after the SI to show DD what we discovered. She's not ready to board, so we're making it a joint adventure!

Our school gets out before Memorial Day and starts early in August, so hoping to enjoy a little downtime with family and friends. Then older daughter to volleyball camp and start the grind all over again. I wish everyone a wonderful summer!

As of now, mine will not be dancing this summer. I'm trying to fight the feeling that I'm doing her a disservice by not filling her summer with dance, but from what I read here, there will come a time when she will have to go to SI's, so I'm going to give her another year or two to be little and enjoy a carefree summer playing outdoors. She'll be nine this summer. Most of her friends will be doing some sort of SI or dance camp already so I hope I'm not making a mistake.

My oldest (14) and middle (12) daughters are attending the Rock's SI for 5 weeks. We are all tagging along and will explore the city while they're dancing. I'm enrolling my youngest (10) daughter into their evening class for some needed technique work as we've had less than stellar training this past semester (long story and the situation is getting corrected soon). My poor son (17) is coming along but I think there will be enough to do in Philadelphia. We will be gone in June as well to Massachusetts for my husband's retirement from the Army ceremony with his cousin. It's bittersweet but the threat of moving every two years is now gone. YAY!

My DD10 will turn 11 as summer starts, and we are doing a bit more than last year (when she did her own school's summer (90min) classes 3-4x/week for 4 weeks plus a week of "dance camp" for 8-12yos).

This summer, she is too young for the full summer intensive (12+), so she is doing the school's scaled-down "sub-intensive" version, 5 weeks of 3 hrs a day, mostly classical ballet but other genres as well. It is specifically limited to those who will be in a second year of pre-pointe or will be starting the pointe class in the fall, so they are all about 11-12ish. Coming up soon is the placement assessment to figure out which of these two groups she'll be in for the fall (gasp!), but at least it means all of her classmates get to do the same level this summer. She also will do the same "dance camp" week as last year, which though it is a repeat there is still a lot to learn and the 11-12yos are allowed to have more "leader/role-model" time.

Tiptoes, I think your plan is perfect! We were very low-key at age 9! Just one week of the "dance camp" and nothing else, with lots of other summer fun and relaxing. Don't fell pressured to go all-in too soon!

My oldest (14) and middle (12) daughters are attending the Rock's SI for 5 weeks. We are all tagging along and will explore the city while they're dancing. I'm enrolling my youngest (10) daughter into their evening class for some needed technique work as we've had less than stellar training this past semester (long story and the situation is getting corrected soon). My poor son (17) is coming along but I think there will be enough to do in Philadelphia. We will be gone in June as well to Massachusetts for my husband's retirement from the Army ceremony with his cousin. It's bittersweet but the threat of moving every two years is now gone.

My husband got out of the Air Force a few years ago--it was an adjustment but I much prefer being out. :)

I was going to respond and say maybe our kids would be in the same level (DD12 is 3x) and see each other around, but then I remembered she will be on a different schedule since she's only doing two weeks.

I love Philly! I think that would be a great way to spend several weeks. I have class in the summer so I can't go and stay with dd, but I will try to squeeze in a long weekend on one end or the other.

As of now, mine will not be dancing this summer. I'm trying to fight the feeling that I'm doing her a disservice by not filling her summer with dance, but from what I read here, there will come a time when she will have to go to SI's, so I'm going to give her another year or two to be little and enjoy a carefree summer playing outdoors. She'll be nine this summer. Most of her friends will be doing some sort of SI or dance camp already so I hope I'm not making a mistake.

It's so hard when other kids are doing more but more isn't always better. She's so young--let her summers be fancy free and fun while you can. :)