mom2dancinggirls12

Summer plans?

48 posts in this topic

Reading through this thread just makes me feel less alone in the "spending way too much on summer" camp! :lol:

DD10 will be doing 4 weeks at her home studio - 2 weeks of an all day ballet/contemporary intensive, and 2 weeks of a shorter, more relaxed multi-genre camp. In between those, there will be day camp, sleep away camp, and visiting friends and family.

I find that it is not just the cost of all the summer programs - it is the fact that I have to pay for them all in March! Thank heavens for tax refunds.

It's funny you say that DCDancemom because our "summer" spending has also started in spring. 4 kiddos in swimming lessons = $$$ let me tell you!

But we didn't want them to start the summer having not swam for 5 months so...you do what you have to. Haha. See, it's not just dance that's breaking the bank 😄

Very true--summer spending already began!

DS 8, almost 9 will be playing tag-along to his crazy parents' schedule! First week of June through 2nd week of August we will be teaching non-stop summer intensive, with 2, single week breaks mixed in there somewhere. The silver lining... 2 of those weeks we will be teaching in Europe, the week directly following (maybe the next 2 weeks if we can swing it and don't finalize the other guest teaching session) will be spent in London and Scotland just relaxing as a family. Plus he will be able to take as many or few classes as he wants and add more cities to his 'I've been there' map. So one more summer at least keeping him with us. Don't even want to start thinking of the headache coordinating the future with our schedule and his, even if his turns up not being in ballet. Can't believe it's a little less than 8 weeks til all the madness starts!

I told DD at the beginning of audition season that she had to choose only 1 3-week program, as that was what the budget allowed (last year she did 2). Thank goodness we live close by to a number of day programs, so I don't have to pay for boarding too! Maybe boarding will come next year (DD is 12.5 this summer). So DD decided on 3 weeks of Bolshoi Prep in NYC for this summer, and is very excited about it. Otherwise, we have lots of fun family plans, and I'll probably try to schedule some pilates sessions for her.

DD10 (11 in May) will be doing 3 weeks at Faubourg and then back to our home studio for regular classes and will end the summer with our home studios SI.

txballetmom mom2dancinggirls12, my DS will be at the 5 week program. My DH has not retired yet, not that he isn't eligible.

DD11 is doing her first summer audition (4 weeks) at the National Ballet of Canada. So exciting!

txballetmom mom2dancinggirls12, my DS will be at the 5 week program. My DH has not retired yet, not that he isn't eligible.

How old is DS?

He just turned 15

My daughter is doing one week at Ballet Detroit's SI in August and her home school's week long SI. She'll also take classes throughout July. Ballet Detroit is a 2 week SI but we opted to only send her for 1 week since it is her first year and she is only 9. She's excited to attend and now the only question is how to get her downtown every day ;)

My DD will be doing her first SI- 3 weeks at HBA. She's very excited!

My daughter's school is on semesters but they just added some summer classes. She'll be taking two 2-hour classes per week on five of the weeks, do a two week summer program, and run off to the Caribbean with the family for a week (fingers crossed there aren't any hurricanes). Other than that I imagine a lot of swimming with her sister in the pool and at the beach and maybe some weekends in the mountains with friends. The older my kids get the more I look forward to summer. I know it is going to go by too quickly.

My soon to be 10 year old DD be taking lessons at her home studio, a local intensive for 3 hours/day, and the Bolshoi summer intensive for 3 weeks. My 6/7 DD will be taking lessons at her home studio, a 2-3 week dance camp at a local studio, and ballet classes in NYC while sister is there.