mom2dancinggirls12

Summer plans?

48 posts in this topic

My daughter will be staying home this summer. Her studio is running summer classes and a SI.

I still have no idea what we're doing this summer :P I wish I could be more organized!

DD9 was going to 2 European SIs this summer, but now I'm not so sure. I discovered this week that the studio has likely been actively lying to me about her level of technique and strength -- and am suddenly questioning sending DD so far away for three weeks with people who are either 100% out of touch with her development, or 100% interested in holding her back to avoid difficult conversations with other parents.

Very torn. Given this and other issues, this is likely the last year DD has at her childhood studio, and we were all looking forward to her final experience being such an amazing one. Trust is such a fundamental thing -- what to do when it's shaken to the core?

Edited: added Q at the end.

Edited by DoubtfulGuest

DD11 is staying home, to attend her first real summer intensive (5 weeks, 5d per week) at our professional- company -based school. The students are required to attend the home SI this summer and next, and we are very glad to avoid the whole traveling-SI-auditions and selections until she is 13.

DD will be 11 in June - she is doing one week at a local company attached school (5 hours a day, 5 days) and may do a week at her studio as well (likely 3 hours a day, 5 days, but probably only 2 hours actually dancing). We have year round school so only get a six week break, and they go back again mid July, so summers will be tricky as she gets older. The upside is her studio also only takes a 6 week break from classes.

Sorry to hear that, Doubtful Guest. The European summer intensive experience sounds amazing. Hopefully, you are able to get clarification from your studio and everything works out for the best.

Aww, thanks Sonatina! It's a mess, and I hope we can sort it out, too! Thankfully, there are some good options closer to home as well.

DD is off to an SI in NYC with her big brother, and then likely piggy backing on to another SI at a local vaganova school (still trying to work that out).

Doubtful Guest, I am sorry to hear about this issue you are going through. It sounds like you have your eyes open. You have to do what is best for your DD. It's important to fully trust who is training your child, and hopefully either faith will be restored, or you will find a place where you feel more certain. This summer will be very interesting for you to observe and see how things go!

Doubtful Guest, I just wanted to say that I've had doubts in the past as well. My DD is good, but not the best in the class, but in the top 2-3 of her age. However, as per usual I guess, the top star always gets doted on and my DD compared to her so it's just really very difficult sometimes.

The absolute BEST THING I did last year was take my DD away to an intensive. I went WITH her as opposed to sending her and was able to have conversations with the Director of the Conservatory there. They were VERY pleased with DD and her current level. Having those conversations really helped bring ME back to reality. So I now realize where my DD is in comparison to many other kids her age, not just the 1 or 2 at our studio that shines. At the end of the day, I do know that our studio AD has my DD's best interests at heart, she's just been so lucky to have VERY talented students fill her classes.

Thank you nynydancer and Leigh28! I can't stress enough how helpful this forum has been for my sense of peace -- and (ha) I've only been here about five minutes! :)

I won't go into it here, but it looks like her home studio is suddenly afraid she'll leave, so I'll see what they come up with. Our other option for the summer is at a another studio with a clear pre-professional program, and if DD doesn't go to Europe, she can dance four, five, or six weeks there, depending on what's safe for her body and because it is nearby I could periodically watch some class -- which seems like a good idea at this point.

Leigh28 -- I completely agree about the outside opinions. My first clue about our issues was during an external SI that DD attended last summer -- DD just wants more ballet, so even though she's very young, we've had to branch out for the past few years. Her teachers at last year's SI (attached to a small, professional company) assured me that she was receiving excellent training but should be pushed more. You're absolutely right -- it can be so hard to gain perspective in a year-round environment. Absolutely recommend external SIs for all!

my DD12 will be spending 3 weeks at SFB and then 3 weeks at Bolshoi CT. She is beyond excited and I am really nervous This will be her first time away but she convinced me that she was ready... so we shall see :(:):( I am going to miss my baby!

Congratulations! My daughter (10 in a couple weeks) will be attending the ABT Young Dancers Workshop in OC followed by Boshoi Prep in NYC. We are very excited for what we feel will be an inspiring and great learning experience for her this summer. Hope everyone has a wonderful summer!

Our 12 y/o will be on the west coast for a 5 week SI this summer. She is thrilled to have the opportunity to go, as she only did two auditions this year, and we had planned on her home school summer intensive plus some privates and Pilates. The offer was too good to pass up though, after it was all said and done. It'll be her first time away for that long and first time away without being with family. This mom is going to miss her greatly! I think she is going to most enjoy working with the different faculty and will really feel stretched and inspired by the other high caliber dancers she'll be surrounded with. Dancing brings her so much joy and she works very hard every class, I cant wait to see how she grows through the experience. ( just hoping those feet can at least stay the same size while she is there!)

Edited by Texasblue

Our DS (12) will be at SFB for three weeks and ABT OC for three weeks. We are local in SF, so that one is easy!

TSH212, maybe we can connect before your DD comes out. We are local and would be happy to be available if she needs anything.

balletslipper that's great. My DD (13) goes there and loves it.