Momof3darlings

2016/17 2nd Company Congrats (when a Bridge) or Unpaid Apprentice Posi

76 posts in this topic

Thank you! And congrats to Lady Elle and MelissaGA!!

I decided to choose this forum to post. Dd has secured a contract for a low rank in a company where she is only paid for performances and also receives a nice shoe allowance, etc. 

Main/Most recent training: Company affiliated trainee program(tuition based); Trained for 8 years at a local ballet school and then moved to an audition based pre-professional school for the end of high school, followed by the trainee program.
Level of school completed: High school grad, with partial college (has been taking college classes on line while training full time)
Audition method: Invited audition. Audition was very small, with 2 different groups of dancers over 2 days. Company was on lay off at the time. 
Position granted: Trainee as part of the company (not a "trainee program" but a company rank)
Position process/progress: n/a
If 2nd company is there pay: pay per performance 
Location of company: US
Was this contract offered at a competition or because of competition attendance? No. Dd never competed as a ballet student. 

What words of wisdom would you offer those coming behind you about your journey or what you've learned being in the journey?

Dd says it is darkest before the dawn! 
Her prior position was obtained through an SI, so this was her first company audition season. She decided to spread a wide net, not having a concept of where she stood. She did open call auditions, invited auditions in major cities, and company class auditions. Prior to the season, she had hoped she would get a position that would NOT require SI attendance, but realized that this was a possibility. This is a VERY big theme! She received something like 12 SI invitation to "be evaluated for a possible position," most from open auditions (aka cattle calls). Some of these SI invitations came with scholarship offers of various sizes attached, I'd say that at least half did not. Some of these were to be evaluated for possible tuition based programs, some for unpaid positions (mainly second company) and some for actual paid positions. We also saw clearly how so many companies call these positions different things.. there are trainees that are paid a bit (as in the position she accepted and trainees that are really tuition paying students. It is the same for second companies. She sent materials in or auditioned for second companies when it was not clear that some of these second companies were actual tuition based. 

One interesting piece of information to share that we were not aware of was that just because you are not spoken to at the end of an audition, does not mean you will not hear something later. I can think of one audition where dd was not spoke too where she was invited to the SI with a large scholarship. There was another where she was one of a very small number spoken to at the end of a large audition. She eagerly awaited that promised email and was very interested in that SI as it is the only path to a particular second company she felt was a good match for her. She later learned that others who were not spoken to at the same audition received the same email.

When dd was probably 13 years old and truly struggling to keep up with her classmates in ballet, a wise teacher warned me not to count her out. She said that those who have to work harder are often the ones ones left dancing at the end. At 13, she did not appear to me to have the facility nor the general body type for a professional ballet career. She certainly had the drive, the work ethic and the stage presence, but not the rest. 4 years later, it was a very different story. Going to a new school where no one had seen her as the struggling 13 year old  was also a very valuable step in her journey. 

Congratulations to you and your daughter, MelissaGA! Your story is very inspiring. I'm so glad your dd persevered on her journey and is now experiencing so much success. :flowers:

Congratulations to you and your DD MelissaGA!  There is a lot to be said for perseverance and determination!

Thank you for sharing MelissaGA, nice to hear she persevered.

Thanks for sharing the information and congratulations to you and your daughter! 

Congratulations MelissaGA!!!

Congratulations MelissaGA!

Main/Most recent training: DD graduated college in three years and then did one more year training at a company affiliated ballet school with performances with the company and outreach programs with the school.

Level of school completed: College in 3 years (AP credits and summer dance made this possible)
Audition method: Sent video and asked to come for audition
Position granted: Trainee as part of the company (not a "trainee program" but a company rank)
Position process/progress: na
If 2nd company is there pay: per performance
Location of company: US
Was this contract offered at a competition or because of competition attendance? No, DD never did competitions

What words of wisdom would you offer those coming behind you about your journey or what you've learned being in the journey?  It's a long journey and as my DD got older I realized the journey is now hers.  The decisions of where to audition and train needed to be hers because she's in the trenches.  At least for us, she knew more than I did.  As MelissaGA said, each company is different with their nomenclature of positions and you need to know this going forward.  DD has a passion for dance and this keeps her going but it hasn't always been easy getting rejection after rejection for companies.  Each step of the journey prepares you for what lies ahead, a small job market.  I don't regret supporting her with this journey in the world of dance.  She has learned so many skills and is an independent adult with a love for the art!

Congratulations to you and your DD dcns!

Congratulations to you and your DD, DCNS!!  I'm so happy for you both!  Best of luck to her for next season. 

Congratulations to Blanche, Lady Elle, Melissa GA and dcns ... such great news all around! So nice to see some of the lovely dancers we've journeyed with finding opportunities. 

Congratulations to your DD DCNS and good to know she has landed a job. It is so difficult as you say. 

OF COURSE Lady Elle! Yay and congrats, Smuin is wonderful! Do you happen to know her training path? My DD is greatly interested in contemporary companies.Congrats to Blanche, Melissa GA and dcns, too. I echo what djeowmom says, been on this journey here for awhile with some and its good to see the fruits of the dancers' labor. Thank you for posting the outcomes and I especially like to read the words of wisdom. I  can completely see the experience of those that work hard and have the love of the art form driving them forward, intrinsically versus the extrinsic rewards of being the star or chosen one. 

Great news dcns! Congratulations to you and your DD!