Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Momof3darlings

Career General Discussion Searching

1 post in this topic

So you want to search through the topics on the Career General Discussion? And does using our search engine drive you batty? Sometimes it drives us batty also. So here's a few helpful hints on how to see all that the Career General Discussion has to offer you!

• If you generally come to BTFD and go to View New Posts, or have the View New Posts page as your link to our forum, then occasionally you need to come in through our Main page and see what Forums we actually have. You can do this by occasionally coming in through this link: Ballet Talk for Dancers Forum Listings Just linking here occasionally will help you determine how to find much of the information you feel you can't find in search.
  • So now, you use that link and you find, "Wow, I didn't know they had a Career General Discussion forum" because I just always used View New Posts. Well yes, View New Posts does help you see what has happened since your last visit, but it does little to help you find the absolute wealth of information we have here because the forums you needed when your dancer was 14 will be different when they are 17.
  • Ok, so now you're at the Main page of the Career General Discussion which is here. And there is this pretty blue line at the top that has some "hints" to help you search the forum like you might want to based on your preferences.
  1. There's Recently Updated for those folks who only want to see the latest and greatest information. Just click on it and see if you like how the forum looks to you now. If you just want that for this specific visit, then do nothing else. More later.
  2. There's Start Date for those people who only want to to see posts started at certain times. Just click on it and see if you like how the forum looks to you now. If you just want that for this specific visit then do nothing else. More later.
  3. There's Most Replies for those people who only want to see the "hot" topics where member after member contributed. Just click on it and see if you like how the forum looks to you now. If you just want that for this specific visit then do nothing else. More later.
  4. There's Most Viewed for those people who want to see the "hot" topics that more people looked at even if they didn't respond to it. If you just want that for this specific visit then do nothing else. More later.
  5. Then there's Custom View where you're asked to choose a few drop downs to either fix the forum like you'd like to see it today. Or you can click the little box that will leave the forum in that search method forever. So......if you like to see this forum with new posts first, it's easy to do. But maybe you're more of a researcher and want to delve into all that has come before you, then you'd like to set the forum in alphabetical order which might help you spend a few minutes with a cup of tea going through all the "A's".
  6. I personally like the Career Forum set to alphabetical so I set my Custom to: All Topics, Topic Title, Ascending A to Z, Show All and then I click the Remember filters button so that it is always this way when I come in. Maybe you like seeing the new posts so your Custom settings would All Topics, Last post, etc. etc. etc.

Now how can you help us be a reference forum as well as a discussion forum. By familiarizing yourself with the titles we use to organize such as: Company Life: budgets or Auditions: Company class and title any new threads you start on this forum in the same manner you will help pay it forward.