Celestrial'sKiss

Question about Emoticons

5 posts in this topic

I vaguely remember seeing a forum titled "Rules on Using Emoticons" or something of such similar wording, but now I cannot find it, even when I use the search tool. I just want to know what the rules are for emoticons again and how many emoticons are we allowed to use in a post. :shrug: Thank you.

We do not have specific rules about how many emoticons per post. (But let's do be judicious about it. :D)

There is a Pinned Topic in "How To" that one of our tech-savvy members created showing the codes for the emoticons recognized on this site: http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=60810

So, (not that I ever will), but for the sake of example, can I do something like this :happy::angry::grinning::crying::clapping: ?

Yes, but it would not make sense! :wink:

I think the principle to keep in mind is that Ballet Talk for Dancers is not a chat forum - we are a message board where discussion about the study of ballet and first-hand information about our experiences are shared. This message board has a good reputation for sound advice and information. We have an international membership, and for many of our members, English is not our first language. So there's a need for us all to try to express ourselves in clear direct English. Emoticons are useful as a supplement to that, but aren't the way to convey solid information.

The thing that members try not to do is write in "text speak" with words abbreviated, no capital letters or punctuation. It's hard for native English speakers to read, let alone those for whom English is a second or third language :)