ddegaray

Be on the lookout for free applications

13 posts in this topic

I want to encourage DKs that are looking into dance in college to make connections early and send out your test scores. My DD is auditioning for 3 schools in the fall and applying to a total of 5 with the possibility of two more auditions in Feb. She has been getting bombarded with emails, most of the time I delete. Well...guess what the two colleges that we would audition for in Feb. have offered free applications! Since you need to be accepted to the university first, why not do the free application. Both schools we had inquired about but have not visited yet. I do believe they are tracking all communication. Every little financial savings helps!

I am getting ready to take my younger son to college later today. My older son is about to begin his sophomore year. While neither are dancers, I'v worked in higher ed for almost two decades and have now been through this process as a parent twice in as many years. I must echo what ddegaray said. With more than a dozen applications over the last two years, we've only paid ONE application and that was to an Ivy League institution. Colleges want to start this application process early and offer incentives to potential students to get them to apply early. My older son was a recruited athlete and because of that, his application fees were waived. My younger son was not, however by applying early, he was able to avoid paying the application fees as well.

Application fees begin at around $40 and go up to close to $100. Multiple this by the 3-6 schools most students apply to. Add this to the cost of a college visit, hotel, travel etc., and the pre-college experience gets really pricey. Some schools will waive the fee if you visit campus. And ASK for an application fee waiver, even if you don't think you qualify financially. They might say no, but then again, they might not.

Thanks for the head up. My DD is looking at a group of schools now, but so far only one in New Orleans not a dance school has offered free. Oh, there is 1 in NYC that has, but she wants to go out of our area. I hope some of the southern and western schools offer it. I think she deletes half of her emails and told her to pay close attention!

Yes, many have been buried in the email. Often it coincides with a shortened application too! We are talking NO essay!

No essay? That would be great. It seems most of her schools have supp essays and some even have essays or statements with the dance apps too! Not sure if we are allowed to mention schools by name, but only one we are doing early for no essay in in Athens. :)

Good to know! DD is currently a sophomore, but we'd like to get a potential list get started this year.

I was wondering how dancers do the application / audition process. If there are auditions in fall, and they have to be accepted into the college before auditioning, how does that work? Can a student be accepted into a university as early as November of their senior year?

Lady Elle, it depends on the school. At DDs university, you had to have applied to the university, but you may not have heard about university acceptance at the time of the dance audition. The ballet audition results were worded quite clearly that one had passed the audition but still must be accepted to the university for admission to the program. Another advantage to applying early is consideration for academic merit scholarships. At DDs university, there was not a separate academic scholarship application; applications received by December 1 are automatically considered for merit scholarships.

The various university admissions process needs to be kept track of closely. We created a chart with the specific deadline dates and requirements.

Dancemaven,

Do you have a link to the chart with specific dates and requirements? Sounds very helpful! My daughter is a senior and we are beginning this overwhelming process!

Thanks!

No, we created our own personal chart based upon the universities DD was considering. It really isn't hard to do. Just was a way for us to keep dates and requirements straight and organized.

Most schools posted their applications August 1st. Be aware there is also a separate dance application too, that usually gets filled out when you are requesting your audition date. I have found that high school counselors are not well informed about the non traditional processes for college apps that dancers have.

A chart with due dates seems like it would be really helpful-some universities tie their academic merit scholarships to the date that university applications are filed- some as early as November 1st to be considered for academic merit awards. Others have essays and other application requirements right around December 1st/mid December (right in the middle of Nut season, when our DK's are not necessarily at their peak for energy in the essay writing department if they can even keep their eyes open after the rehearsals are over)!!!