eschmitt98

When to Transfer

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I've come with a question... it's long and maybe a bit complicated, but we'll see what happens.

I'm a freshman at a college in New York City with a well-known dance department, but I'm struggling from a lack of ballet. Many of the dancers are ex-comp kids who didn't really have strong training in ballet and don't appreciate ballet nearly as much as I do. I'm frustrated. I definitely feel like I'm not getting the intense ballet training I wanted from my college experience. I'm not surrounded by bunheads like me, like I wanted. Of course, it's important to be diverse in your dance training and have experience in modern, jazz, tap, etc., but I was hoping for a ballet-centered program with training in the other styles as well, and I ended up at a more modern-based program. So, I've been rolling around in my head whether or not I want to transfer.

Here are the reasons I'm still doubting transferring:

My current school has a dance science piece integrated into the dance major, and that's hard to find elsewhere, and I want to move into physical therapy after I am finished dancing.

I love living in New York City, and don't know if I could give up living in such a cool place.

This college is hard on the bank account, and I don't want to have to put in another year of school if my credits don't transfer (for money reasons).

And the big one- I love ballet, and want to be able to focus on it more in my college career, but if I'm not going to get a job with a ballet company after I graduate (which is realistically very unlikely based on my technique and body), why would I bother transferring?

I guess it boils down to the question: do I transfer to be able to do what I love a bit longer, or do I stay where I am because it's not important enough to change?

Edited to add: If I were to transfer, it would most likely be after the next fall semester!

Obviously, no one is going to have all the answers. I'm just looking for opinions, thoughts, etc. Maybe some reassurance?

You may be late in the game to transfer now for most colleges. I would check out Friends University. They are ballet based and have a lot of scholarship money and will take late transfers.

Wow...if you are going to school in NYC just think of all the dance studios that you could attend for extra classes in ballet and pointe! I would stay right where you are and supplement with outside extra classes.

I had a similar thought. I am sure your college schedule is tight, but integrate some outside ballet classes (so many options). Perhaps even propose with your program to use them as an independent study for credit.

I agree about taking outside classes, with so many choices in NYC, especially since you love the city. You can even use Steps on Broadway, where my daughter has even taken drop in pointe classes. You bring up a valid point for all to consider while choosing dance programs. My daughter now is about to choose a very contemporary program at Ohio State. I worry she will miss ballet and pointe. I am thinking about having her take weekend classes (if they have them) at local studio. I think she now doesn't realize how much she will miss the classical ballet training. She also was admitted to a very strong classical ballet college, but think she is choosing OSU for other reasons, on top of dance like academics and huge scholarship.

Sounds like you really like NYC, the academic course at school, but are just lacking in the ballet training. Since you are motivated, check out the classes and sure you will find what you need. FYI< for Steps, they have classes 7 days a week and think you can buy discounted passes for X number of classes to use like a punch system.

Good luck!

When my daughter attended college in NYC, she took classes at 3 different studios, depending on what she thought she needed work on.