Araie

Advice?

13 posts in this topic

Hi! Although just recently joined, I do have some issues that I'd like to talk about.

So, currently, me and another girl are the same age (the other girls the same age as me aren't quite as dedicated) but we're in different classes; she's in the level above me, and I'm the one below her. However, I have discussed this with me teacher before, and the reason I'm below by a level is to build strength. Anyhow, in every single class I do, I always work extremely hard, yet with every production we do she's the one to get better roles and be in more of the acts, which is a concept that I've been struggling to understand for two years now. I want to be a professional, I really do, but it's a bit difficult when you're being treated like you just aren't quite good enough as others despite the work you put in. Just last night, everyone in the company, which I'm a part of along with the other girl, were at a rehearsal constantly correcting me, yet wasn't correcting the other girl at all.

I know this is rather heavy for a first post, but I'm generally at a lost as to what I should do. Thanks for any help. :)

Araie first I would like to welcome you to BT4D. Please take a moment to look around a bit to familiarize yourself with our various forums.

You might consider providing us with information regarding how many days a week and for how many years, you are studying ballet.

Since you have told us you are in a lower level than the young student in question, might I suggest that perhaps she is more advanced than you. Generally speaking, more advanced students receive the "juicier" roles. Focus more on yourself and less on what it is that she is receiving. You will progress through hard work and dedication.

Thanks for the advice! I'm currently taking at least 2 classes a week, and I usually have additional rehearsals on Saturdays and Sundays as well. I've also been taking ballet for 8 years as of now.

Araie, is it possible that the other student, although the same age, is more advanced because she has had more training? Two classes a week is not a lot of training. Perhaps she has more classes a week? Unfortunately, it's not always a matter of how hard you work, it's a matter of both talent and amount of training. If she is a stronger dancer, then it is logical that she would get more or better roles.

I believe we take the same amount of classes as each other, so I don't think it is because she has had more training specifically.

Araie, in all schools the higher level students will get better roles in productions. That is just normal. Being the same age is not necessarily the only criteria for levels, as some dancers may progress faster than others. This is usually because they have more natural facility for ballet. Ballet is a very difficult art form, but there are some dancers who are able to achieve better results sooner than others, and that is often because they simply have a body that is built differently in terms of their physique and muscle strength, and of course things like rotation, flexibility, shape/strength/flexibility of the feet, and coordination. Rate of growth can also be a factor, which sometimes means, for instance, that one 13 year old may develop more strength by that age than another 13 year old.

I'm assuming you are a teenager, and since you say that you would like to be a professional, I do have to ask if your school has a program where the advanced dancers take classes 5 or 6 days a week. They should be at least one and a half hours for technique every day, plus another hour for pointe classes at least 3 of those days.

Ah, I see; thank you so much for clearing this up for me. And no, my program doesn't, but I was going to see if on my own time I could get some private lessons.

You are most welcome. I do, however, have to ask if you have considered finding a more serious ballet school?

I have definitely considered it, but I'm honestly not sure what my parents would think about me changing schools since I've been there so long. I think I'll at least try discussing it with them though.

I think, if you really are serious about ballet and any chance of a career, you need to do this sooner rather than later. I would suggest that you research the schools in your city very carefully, and then present it to your parents.

Alright, thank you! I'll edit my post later about what I found. :)

Araie, I just took a look at schools in your area, and I was very disappointed, actually. I'm not sure there is a school there which would qualify as a pre-professional school. The two I looked at did not have anywhere close to a schedule indicating the training needed. :( (By the way, I know where you are located because I am the Administrator. No one else will know your city.) I will try a bit more search later, but do not have time right now.

That's quite alright; let me know what you find later. I'll do some researching myself as well. I really do appreciate your help. :)