pavlov

Right shoes for doing turns?

5 posts in this topic

I find that my ballet shoes stick to the floor when I do turns, so I can't turn completely around. They are older shoes, but not that worn out. Would buying new shoes help? These are just regular ballet shoes, not point shoes.

Are they canvas? If so, you can just put them through the washing machine. It may be that there's rosin, or floor cleaner (or even floor wax) or just a build of dust and grease from the floor.

I find that leather shoes often stick to marley surfaces, especially when it is humid. For me, turning is much easier in a canvas shoe regardless of the floor type.

I am not sure if these are leather or canvas.

If they are leather, I will buy a new pair of canvas. I'm pretty sure it's the shoes. I turn better when I'm barefoot.

It's pretty easy to tell the difference! If they're leather, maybe you need to clean them with a leather cleaner - but not a grease/oil based one. In fact. leather can be pretty tough - you could gently wash them in warm water with a leather cleaner. Look for leather glove cleaner. I clean all my fine leather gloves with that - if you stuff the shoes with socks to help them dry, you'll keep the shape of the shoe. Don't overstuff unless you want to stretch your shoes.