Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
5uptown

Cross training for boys

3 posts in this topic

I am curious-- how old is your son, and what kind of cross training does he do? When did he start specifically cross training for ballet? Does he do this as part of his ballet training program, or supplemental to it? 

My son is 12, he "cross trains" with other recreational sports that he enjoys (soccer, volleyball, a little tennis), and he takes modern and jazz dance each once a week, but so far he hasn't specifically begun to work on core or upper body strength for dance. Assuming a typical progress through the levels at ballet school, he will have another two years before strength training is actually offered to him there. He is definitely aware that this is something he will need to start working on (also I expect he will also need more work on flexibility, which doesn't come easily for him). 

My son doesn't do any actual "cross-training" in another sport but he started strength training/conditioning when he was 12 when he started full time ballet training.  They didn't have a weight room but they did a lot of push ups, hand stands, planks, etc.  When he went to a company affiliated full time program at 13 he started weight training in the weight room with a conditioning coach as a class that meets twice weekly in addition to mat classes, pilates, and Yamuna.  He also works in the weight room outside of the regularly scheduled classes to increase his strength for pas  - the conditioning coach gave him a circuit to follow.

No actual cross-training per se, but sports (baseball and track) and PE classes at school, and since about 13-14 he has had a regular daily regimen of stretching, push ups, sit-ups, planks, etc., that he does at night.