Grandad dancer

Most received correction

23 posts in this topic

Yup- keep your arms rounded out in first in turns instead of collapsed inwards:P

That's a good one, come to think of it.

Close your 5ths!

Relax! I feel like I need to control every movement and in my attempt to do things correctly I end up doing it worse 😂

It's the hardest thing, I think. To execute the complicated movement of ballet while remaining relaxed.

I am hoping muscle memory will kick in soon so the I can concentrate less on making the movement and enjoy the movement. My latest correction is- dance it. I.e. stop being stiff and get some flow and grace in the movements. If only. I am sure it will come eventually.

Here's my older Vaganova student list: There's nothing on the floor but dirt; keep square; get on your leg; where are you looking?; elbows; 1st position is always here  (closer); sternum forward; keep yourself like iron; head; point that left foot!!!!! As an older beginner, it is really hard to remember all these things and the choreography as well...barre or center, but I keep on. Sometimes the corrections come when my body is just plain tired and I'd like to rest a moment. No resting in Vaganova, but it is a beautiful way of moving, so I focus and will myself to strength. Sometimes I wish for a tiny bit of levity to break the intensity, but I've learned to do this very sparingly and sometimes barely audibly.

Thanks for that Hummingbird. I know how you feel. The end of year show is 4 lessons away and we only started rehearsal 3 lessons ago. Adult class has a 2.5min slot. Having no memory, at the last lesson I had someone video me from behind so I had something to practise from in between lessons. Having got over the shock of seeing a stooped grey-haired old man (in my head I am still 23yrs) with a look of panic on his face, staring intently at the person who seemed to know what they were doing, was half a beat behind with raised shoulders dropped elbows and not pulled up, that was marking rather than dancing, I realised what a great tool video is. I have great respect for my teachers who can look at that without being struck dumb in horror or falling on the floor laughing. They just concentrate on the most important corrections first. I shall keep this video to compare with the show to see how well I have managed to apply the corrections