CluelessDanceMom

Ballet Slippers

11 posts in this topic

My daughter has worn ballet slippers since age 2 1/2 and we have never had a hard time getting fitted for them.  At the age of 8 now, all of a sudden, we cannot find any ballet slippers that will fit properly.  We only have 2 stores that carry ballet shoes in our city and we have attempted to purchase slippers at both stores only for one employee to say that she didn't have anything that would fit my daughter but I could "just buy these as they are the closest to fitting" and the employee at the other store saying, "I really don't have a clue about ballet at all" -- after my daughter complained that all the slippers she gave her to try on felt bad on her feet and obviously fit poorly.  I ended up buy 6 different slippers on Zappos -- various sizes, widths and brands only to discover that none of them fit as well.

My DD has a very high arch and wears a 3-3.5 in kids' sizes or a 5-5.5 in women's.  The main problem appears to be all of the extra material on the sides of the slipper.

Does anyone make custom ballet shoes?  At this point, I don't know what to do.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you can find So Danca SD16 slippers, they may work. My daughter just turned 12 but has tiny feet and high arches. Her normal shoes are a kids' 3/women's 5, but she wears a 4 in the SD16s. Prior to these she really only liked Repetto slippers (which we had to have shipped from France) because she also hates extra material on the sides.

DD had to get Capezio Hanami shoes for a performance. They are stretchy, and she loves them. She's not super picky about shoes though...

Anybody know of a slipper that has longer elastic?  Any slipper that comes with them sewn in I have to rip out and sew in our own because they don't fit over dds instep.

Most of the slippers we have bought do not have pre-sewn elastic (grishko, sansha and Bloch, for example). The sodanca stretch canvas mentioned above does. Try a brand that comes in narrow widths, and/or the stretch canvas styles which are much less "bunchy". I like the store on stage dancewear for a large selection and knowledgeable staff (we go in person, but I am sure you can also call and talk to them). I also take my son directly to sansha and grishko, but that is also partly because as a boy, it is not unusual to find there are no boys colors available of many styles, and the company flagship stores seem to carry a larger selection in male colors. 

Cluelessdancemom,

My daughter has a long narrow foot, and we had a lot of trouble finding slippers to fit her feet.  When she had to wear leather, we found that the Capezio Juliet fit best, though they don't last very long.  In canvas, the Grishko Performance Series has a narrow, A, width that you can buy directly from the Grishko store in NY (narrowest available from online retailers is a B width).  Chacott/Freed also has a model 3169-02303 that runs pretty narrow.  For Chacott/Freed, use their European, not US, size chart (35, 35.5, 36, etc.); US sizing is off.  Shipping from the NY stores is pretty pricey, but it has been the only option for us.  I think SF Dancewear also carries the Grishko A width, but I found buying/shipping from them more expensive overall. 

Edited to add the Chacott/Freed shoe is not quite as narrow, but the elastics come pre-sewn.

My dd is also picky about how her shoes fit and she has NO tolerance for any loose or bunchy material. She loves the So Dance SD16 that AB'sMom mentioned. It does have the presewn elastics so hopefully those aren't a problem for you but the canvas has some stretch so it hugs the foot well. 

My DD has a narrow foot. She has had good luck with Sansha #1 Pro in NN (the regular width and even the single N shoe are too baggy). She also likes Angelo Luzios (aka. Body Wrappers TotalSTRETCH) . Good luck.

Seconding (thirding?) the So Danca SD16 in A width for narrow feet!  This is a canvas shoe though.

If she has to have leather, try the Bloch SO203L in an A width, probably in about length 2.5 or 3. Also, Wear Moi has some beautiful quality leather shoes available in N. Another thought would be Fuzi's S/S leather shoe, also available in Narrow.

There is a store called Sandy's in my area that does custom fit. Not sure if you have one in your area, though.