Henrik

Dance belts

35 posts in this topic

Major Mel-

I was never "fitted" for a dancebelt...should I have been?

It really just takes two measurements. One, around the waist. Two, from where you expect it to be on your lower abs, then down and through the legs to the sacrum. Many professional dancewear salespeople can pretty much eyeball and get close, but the tape measure has the definitive answer.

So, the next time I am in NYC, should I stop by Capezio Dancewear (or whatever the name is)?

Why take the second measurement? Sizes are based on waist size only. I wish the offered a "tall" dancebelt with a little more rise in the back bit.

I hope this is approved by the censors, I love the smell of frankensense.

Mike

I dont understand the second measurement either... there is not much choice except S, M, L and XL... never heard of the second measurement - or are there any made-to-measure dance belts?

Dance Scholar London, I was wondering the exact same thing too...maybe they make "custom-fit" dancebelts? I don't exactly know... but maybe different places sell different types as well.

The second measurement is called "girth" and can affect dance belt sizing by a whole size. People who feel like they're being cut in two the hard way usually have undersized their dance belts in terms of girth.

dancerboy, no matter what color your dance belt is, if you do a couple of classes a week, Id advice you to buy another dancebelt in addition. Because - washing and drying these things can take longer than you think, and suddenly you stand there before class with a wet (or unwashed :o:D ) dancebelt, witch is not fun at all. Then its good to have an extra pair! :shrug:

Mel, I understand what girth is... but which brands do offer these specifications? In London, you only get Capezio in S, M, L and XL. Thats it, nothing else available...

It affects the sizing. You could make a table where the waist size is one axis and the girth is the other. The point at which the figures plot is the recommended size. Usually, if you are at a store with a decent salesperson, they carry this "table" in their own heads, and can size customers up just by looking at them. A lot of guys figure that it's all in the waist size, and they buy themselves an uncomfortable (!) dance belt by getting a "medium". That's all I'm saying.

Ahhhhh now I understand what you mean. I usually go for XL as they think it is much more comfortable. The elastic is strong enough anyway.

A jolly good idea! Sizes in dance belts, even when they're S, M, L, XL, are not the same sizing concept as those used to size adult pyjamas!

I got some PMs from readers about my frnakencense joke. A Censor can be two/three things:

Someone who edits objectional material.

-Or-

Person or object that uses incense (aka Frankencense).

http://www.templeinstitute.org/vessels_gallery_9.htm

If you attend Catholic or Anglican Communion High Mass, you will see an Altar boy Altarette AltarGirl (Acolyte) swinging a golden censor, I've also heard them referred to as a Thurifer.

Please don't ping me on spelling, I've never used these words before.

Gotta go, time for Vespers.

-MJ

knock knock...

I am reasonably sure that the incense-holder is a censEr and not a censOr...

Correct. The censer-bearer in a high solemn service is a thurifer, while the burner itself is a thurible. There is also an incense-bearer, who carries the cruet of fresh incense for when they need more smoke. Frankincense is a fragrant gum resin of the Boswellia tree and when it burns, it stinks real nice, sort of lemony. A censor was one of two magistrates of the ancient Roman republic who ran the census, did tax assessment, and served as the vice squad. Modern censors take off on this last function.

Frankincense also served as a sort of topical local anesthetic and as an embalming fluid. However, I do not recommend putting frankincense in your dance belt. :):pinch: