Old_Faun

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Ballet
    Modern
    Sports
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:adult student

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:59 AM

I must confess as an total amateur I have done a angsty choreo on myself ( friends and family has to watch it :whistling: ), too - but with lots of dancing and a happy end :grinning:.

It's easier to build and understand- you have a fearful moment to throw yourself onto the floor (why else I should get there?) and do a bit of rolling, and then get more up and higher as music and choreo gets more happy to a nice end.

The local dance company here dances in their modern pieces - you can watch these shows, perhaps they are not contemporary enough. But I like it.

#17 diane

diane

Sapphire Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Interests:lots
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:former pro ballet dancer, teacher, mother to 2 DDs

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:46 AM

Old_Faun, that sounds very much like a lot of what I see where I am, too. 

And, yes, it is kind of fun to do; but I am not so sure how much most audiences like to watch it; it depends on many factors. 

The "angst-filled" movements tend to go down pretty well in Germany, I find. ;) 

-d-

#18 Old_Faun

Old_Faun

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Ballet
    Modern
    Sports
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:adult student

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:03 AM

Diane, I think this is a very common dramaturgy since the greek time -

You start with a situation, you get a complication, a crisis and finally a solution.

90% of all (successful) theater pieces and films are build like this, so I as an Amateur feel free to do it like them.

What the problem is with watching a show is when there is no suspense curve - when everything is angst.

My plot for example was more at the classical dramaturgy: a plain and unsatisfied reality (1st dance) - a dream (2nd dance), inbreak of reality into the dream (the angst) with the solution "make your thing and let not compromise you, be yourself" (3rd dance, every one different music and style).

As I said, a classic build. Real artists can do more, but they have to be good to break the rules.

#19 EFW

EFW

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:ballet <br />modern<br />contemporary
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

I do agree with this article as well.  Some contemporary dance doesn't seem to show off any technique or even much thought/interesting choreography.  If I can do it, and I'm not a dancer, just a dancer's mom, then I don't need to waste my money or time.....I know we all have different ideas regarding what art is but hopefully I won't have to watch my daughter practicing her artistry in that way.  

In association with Zazzle.com