****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

Articles: on Growth and Training

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#31 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,599 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:36 AM

Thank you both for the clarifications.

It seems to me as though there are many factors at play here: Bodies in general have changed over the years, with average heights, foot length, and average age of puberty has changed drastically, even in the past few decades. In 1910, average height for a woman was 5'1 with a shoe size UK 2/US 5, but now, the average woman is 5' 6", with an average shoe size of UK 7/US 9. Average onset of puberty was 16.6 yrs in the late 1800s, and now it is around 10.6 years.

Layer on top of that how much Ballet as an art form (and gymnastics, and track, and basketball, etc.) has evolved into being much more taxing on the average body, and we can see how much more important it is to take into consideration whether an activity is safe at any given moment in a child's development.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com