• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nutmeg

nutmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

Any information on the dance program at this school?

#2 Treefrog

Treefrog

Sapphire Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of 2 dancers

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

My DD is a freshman there. There is no formal dance program at the university. There is a modern dance group that students can audition for. I think they take class/rehearse a couple of times a week, depending on when the next show is.

For ballet, you have to go out into the community. Providence Ballet is up and running as of December (they had to renovate studios after a fire), and DD expects to take classes there when she returns. DD liked the classes at Heritage Ballet in Lincoln, but without a car it is a longish schlep by bus and foot. Festival Ballet might be a good alternative if your dancer were looking to follow an advanced training program with daily classes; they do not offer advanced drop-in classes for adults.

I'll alert DD to this thread, in case she has more to say.

#3 msfifiroxsox

msfifiroxsox

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:42 PM

I would definitely hop on the bus by starbucks on Thayer St. I believe you want to take line 42. It drops you off right down the street from FBP. They have a wonderful faculty. I'd highly recommend that school to anyone in or near Providence.

#4 nutmeg

nutmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:23 PM

thanks so much to both of you for the information

#5 Marga

Marga

Bronze Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:former dancer/balletmama

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:31 PM

I would definitely hop on the bus by starbucks on Thayer St. I believe you want to take line 42. It drops you off right down the street from FBP.

Yes, you're right, it's bus #42 -- the Hope Street line, going north.
Festival Ballet is at 825 Hope Street.
The phone number is (401)353-1129

Here's a link to their website:

Festival Ballet Providence

#6 Green river

Green river

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of dancer

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Anyone have any more recent information on Brown and dance. Is there any more of a dance program now? TIA.

#7 dancemaven

dancemaven

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,911 posts
  • Interests:Ballet parent

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

I don't think anything has changed in terms of a formal dance program. My non-DD is a senior there and I've never seen anything regarding one.

#8 vagansmom

vagansmom

Sapphire Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:dance of all kinds; "Kind and firm in equal doses" education
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of professional dancer; musicality coach

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Green river, no, it hasn't changed. None of the ballet dancers I know are considering applying to Brown because of that, except for the ones who are giving up dancing. However, if you are asking about Brown, then that must mean that academically, you're a very capable student, which could put you in the running for Columbia. Their dance program (Barnard's program, shared with Columbia students) IS high caliber. Many of the dancers there have already been apprentices or trainees with ballet companies, so the technical level is high. Lots more to say, but it's really more appropriate for the Columbia threads. Take a look over there.

Anytime emotions are involved, you cannot come up with an impartial and objective assessment of any given problem.

Benigno Aquino III

#9 Green river

Green river

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of dancer

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Thank you for the replies. She is very interested in Columbia for those reasons and she decided not to apply to Brown.

In association with Zazzle.com