****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

529 college savings plan money for ballet supplies?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sheahuang

sheahuang

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:ballet, mens technique, adult ballet, parent to a DD and DS
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:37 PM

Does anyone know if you can use 529 college savings plan money for ballet supplies if you are enrolled as a dance major in college? The rules for withdrawal of funds from 529 plans indicate any expense needed to attend that particular school. So, computers and printers are now covered. Food needs if the meal plan does not fully cover all meals is allowable as well as utility bills if you live off campus. So if your major requires you to have said supplies (pointe shoes etc) I wonder if that is acceptable?

#2 millvillemurphs

millvillemurphs

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Pedagogy, travel, cooking
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult/lifelong dancer, parent of dancer, former teacher

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:12 PM

I am making the assumption for tax purposes that pointe shoes and other dance wear are included in allowed college expenses for a ballet major, and it seems like it would apply the same for the 529 account. I printed out a copy of the student handbook that describes the required dress code, which includes not only shoes, but also specifies leotards and tights, and I am keeping that printout with my tax records and receipts.

#3 sheahuang

sheahuang

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:ballet, mens technique, adult ballet, parent to a DD and DS

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:29 AM

Thank you millvillemurphs ! I would assume it would be akin to a music major who needs a certain instrument. 

#4 Momof3darlings

Momof3darlings

Diamonds Circle

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,248 posts
  • Interests:Parent of professional dancer and tutumaker. Dance School Administrative Staff
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet fan, Costumer, Mom of dancers

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:45 PM

You will need to search "Qualified Education Expenses" for the individual college you are speaking of or ask them.  They should know how to tell you.  The institution will be able to tell you if it's qualified.  Here is the exact quote from the IRS.  You'll note the pesky ending part where it says only if "the fees and expenses must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance.  So............................take that for what you will.  

A music major would not necessarily be a good comparison, since they will likely own their instrument at the time of audition and once the instrument is owned, you do not necessarily have to buy another one.  There are step up models for sure, but it would not be a requirement of a university.  Pointe shoes are disposable items and that is much different.  

Today, many colleges, after all fees are paid, will send any overage into the student's account (or the parent's if that is how you set up those things).  That is what becomes income and why housing doesn't always count depending on how the school sets it up.  

Related expenses.   Student activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified education expenses only if the fees and expenses must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance. 

Balance in everything ballet!

#5 Pensive

Pensive

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:ballet, music, reading, gardening

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:00 PM

I actually asked this question of my provider and was told no. And, as an example, they said they also don't cover such things as athletic equipment and apparel for PE class.

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com