****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

Adult classes Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sharon B

Sharon B

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer: ballet, modern jazz and tap

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:45 AM

Looking for Russian technique classes in Philadelphia and also basic adult pointe classes.

#2 gasguzzler

gasguzzler

Silver Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Interests:summer intensives, schools, ballet, contemporary, modern
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mother

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:37 AM

There are open classes at Koresh in Rittenhouse square. I don't have first hand experience there is a morning class 10:15-11:45. techer bios on their website. Try this website: Philadelphiadance.org for a  calendar of other classes around the city.

#3 Sharon B

Sharon B

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:47 AM

Thanks gazguzzler, but I'd prefer not to go to Koresh, and I happen to know that the teachers there do not teach Russian technique and they don't have adult pointe classes. I would like to find a class via a personal recommendation. Too many times the adult classes are little more than baby ballet, and one doesn't really get taught much.

#4 swanchat

swanchat

Platinum Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:41 PM

I don't have a personal recommendation but you might check with the Pennsylvania Ballet's School. Denis and Anastasia Babayeva are directing the school now. I'm not sure if they are offering adult classes or not. Both are excellent teachers, Bolshoi trained. They also have a studio, the Academy of International Ballet out in the suburbs (Media) and I know that they used to have adult classes. Also out in the burbs: Frazer PA is International Ballet Theater. Sasha Boitsov is the AD and Jaelyn Fellona is the Director. Looks like there is a master class is Anna Liceica in October (not Russian but Romanian). Mr. Boitsov and Ms. Fellona were always willing to accommodate students schedules and needs when my dd was looking for training opportunities.

#5 tutumama

tutumama

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:teaching, reading, cooking
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mom of a dancer

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:57 PM

I understand if you don't want to go to Koresh, however, Eva's morning class is definitely Russian. I just want to clear that up if anyone else is reading and interested. That would have been my suggestion, but PA ballet might be interesting, depending on who is teaching. Good luck!

#6 swanchat

swanchat

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:03 PM

tutumama,

If you are talking about Eva Szabo, I wholeheartedly agree. She's amazing... She's Hungarian and tough, but kind! She taught our daughter and frequently had the girls learn the men's variations from Bourneville! (I'm sure adjusted for ability). She's a lovely person!

#7 Sharon B

Sharon B

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

I beg to disagree tutumama, I've take class with Eva and it isn't a traditional Russian class at all...  I to think she is a nice person, but it isn't a traditional Russian class. Unfortunately the classes at PA ballet are more "baby ballet," and not challenging. PA Ballet not lists on their website open MWF classes, but I was kindly informed by someone that their open classes were for professionals.  I"m also looking for a pointe class and I know Koresh doesn't have one. 

#8 swanchat

swanchat

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:26 PM

Did you speak with Anastasia or Denis Babayev at PA Ballet regarding your goals? You might find a class at their school might your goals but you would need to go to Media. I would also be surprised if Sasha Boitsov wouldn't help you meet your goals but again he's in the suburbs. Eva's class is more Bourneville but you will get stronger if you take it and yes, she's a lovely lady!

#9 Redbookish

Redbookish

Redbookish

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts
  • Interests:Adult dance student
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult student & Performing Arts professor

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:24 AM

SharonB, perhaps it would help other members trying to help you, if you could be more specific about what you're looking for, such as specifying if there are studios you've attended but would prefer not to continue attending etc etc. I don't know Philadelphia, but it might also help to indicate desired  area etc.

Otherwise, the general advice given by the expert Teacher Mods here is that a good pre-pro school may be open to having an adult (of requisite standard) in their classes, so it's always worth asking at a studio which has a teaching style you're looking for but may not advertise adult or open classes. In my experience, that sort of information is rarely available on studio websites.

Good luck!

#10 Redbookish

Redbookish

Redbookish

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts
  • Interests:Adult dance student
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult student & Performing Arts professor

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:28 AM

As a former resident of the actual Bournville (where they make the chocolate) I'm excited to learn there's a ballet style at the factory ... but I know you mean Bournonville, swanchat? :happy:  :flowers: Your lucky daughter! I would LOVE to study that style - and to learn the men's variations - trying to learn all that allegro and training for ballon - wonderful. What an opportunity!

I think as an adult dancer, I try to learn all I can of different styles. I've lately been doing Bollywood classes! Easy in some ways & mind bending in others.

#11 swanchat

swanchat

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:05 AM

Thank you for the correct spelling Redbookish! Yummmmm ballet and chocolate. I'll have to visit that factory one day :wub:

Our dd was very lucky to have learned that style from a young age. Miss Eva was tough but kind and her life was inspiring. Along with Bournonville choreography, she learned Balanchine and Robbins from another teacher and it kept her moving!

#12 rosetwirl

rosetwirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Dance, Reading, Football, Cooking, Baking
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, Parent of Dancer, Balletgoer

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:20 AM

Try calling Metropolitan Ballet Academy in Jenkintown, outside of Philadelphia. They have adult classes and have Russian teachers on staff. I can personally vouch for Natalya Lushina Zeiger. I'm not sure, however, what teachers teach the adult classes and whether they have an adult pointe class. I think they would be worth a phone call though. 

#13 Sharon B

Sharon B

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:32 AM

Honestly, I"m finding that even if a studio does offer adult classes, they are  usually watered down classes generally not taught by the best teachers.  Adult class seems to be different from a studio where there are open, but leveled classed offered.  Koresh indeed does offer leveled classes rather than adult classes,  but they aren't Russian classes.  Other studios in the area offer what they label as adult, and when I've gone they've been very rudimentary and not challenging.  PA Ballet offers both adult classes ( which are very basic, I have friend who has taken classes there as have I) and now they have listed MWF open classes, I was politely told that their  open classes are for professionals.   It is a bit frustrating....I took classes at Koresh for over 20 years, over a year ago they left go/fired the 2 Russian teachers who started and grew their ballet program (both adult and children), I cannot and won't support their business.  At least there one has a choice of levels, other studios  offer what they call adult classes, and the tend to be super basic. I've gone to some and been less than impressed.... Redbook I've done other styles, and don't mind , but with my limited time ballet and Pilates is enough.

#14 swanchat

swanchat

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:03 AM

Natasha Zeiger is also a good choice, rosetwirl. Her classes are strictly Russian and she is an excellent teacher. Sharon B, you may need to venture into the suburbs to find Russian classes. Philadelphia doesn't have a STEPS equivalent with its plethora of class styles, teachers and times. This doesn't mean that you can't find Russian class, it just means you may have to work a bit to get there. Would you be able to arrange private class with the 2 Russian teachers that you seemed to enjoy at Koresh or maybe grab a couple of friends to have semi-private lessons?

#15 Sharon B

Sharon B

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:12 AM

I'm familiar with Natasha Zeiger, but does she teach open/adult classes? I am going to try and arrange private lessons... actually the 2 Russian teacher I love are each teaching 1 open class a week, there is a long story behind this... after leaving Koresh several of us followed them to another studio, which has gone out of business - the owner tried to take advantage and was jealous that their open classes had more students than his ( owner also had a ballet company  which has gone belly up as well... so now this husband and wife are each teaching 1 open class ( they both work full time for a performing arts charter school teaching ballet).

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com