****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

Average height ranges of major US companies

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 balletgirlie1207

balletgirlie1207

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

I thought Whitney Jensen from BB was quite petite?

Last time I looked I think Richmond Ballet also had a 5'4" - 5'7" height requirement for females and I have seen other company audition listings with female height minimums of 5'6" or 5'7" (in the case of LINES).

I'm pretty sure Whitney Jensen is any shorter than 5'4" or 5'5".

#17 BBBalletMum

BBBalletMum

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of a dancer

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

For the record - Kaori Nakamura is about 5 feet, maybe 5'1", and their tallest female dancer is 6 feet tall. Maria Chapman is by no means the shortest dancer there. Houston or SFO just hired a 5 footer too I hear. This is at PNB....

This information about shorter ballerinas is wonderful. My daughter is around 5" - 5.1". We are from Australia and she would love to be part of a Company in America. We have always been told that America is only interested in tall dancers. She has auditioned for schools in Europe and America and has had some offers. This makes our decision so much easier. Thank you

Edited by BBBalletMum, 27 March 2011 - 09:23 PM.

#18 Ms. KLS

Ms. KLS

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:former ballet student; ballet lover, author of dance fiction, non-fiction writer

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

I have spent a lot of time trying to find height ranges for females in the major the major US companies. I have searched her on BT as well as through google.
Anyone have any ideas about NYCB, ABT, SFB, PNB, etc. Or can you tell me where to look? I've tried all sorts of keyword combinations and come up with very little. Not much to go on either since auditions aren't posted right now.

This may sound pretentious, but I'm not. Have you tried calling the company and asking what they're looking for? I've found most will be helpful and willing to give that information to prospective employees...

#19 Momof3darlings

Momof3darlings

Diamonds Circle

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,248 posts
  • Interests:Parent of professional dancer and tutumaker. Dance School Administrative Staff
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet fan, Costumer, Mom of dancers

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Ms. KLS-that request for information was from June of last year.
Balance in everything ballet!

#20 pas de corgi

pas de corgi

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent, fan

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

Does anyone know how tall Leta Biasucci (corps de ballet--PNB) is?

#21 Arizona Native

Arizona Native

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:balletomane, former dancer, dancer mom, sometime adult student

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

She is 5'3", according to this article: http://www.americanc...3004/blogs/2062.

#22 pas de corgi

pas de corgi

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent, fan

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

Thanks--she is a lovely and athletic dancer.

#23 Guest_coupe66_*

Guest_coupe66_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

Arizona Native, thank you for posting the link to the article about Leta Biasucci. I especially enjoyed this portion:

Leta also fights against being typecast in “short girl” roles, so it’s a good thing Stowell looks beyond height when sizing up a dancer. “Physical traits can influence a career,” he says, “but the qualities that have the biggest impact are a good attitude, reliability, taking personal responsibility, making the most of opportunities and being fun to work with. Beyond that, dance big and make things your own. Be irreplaceable!”

What great advice!

#24 Tami1

Tami1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Dance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:38 PM

Does anyone know about Ballet West's company height? I saw on their website the current height they're looking for is 5'3 to 5'9 but I wasn't sure how much taller the rest of the company is. I'm 5'10 and really want to find a tall company!

#25 dancemaven

dancemaven

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,903 posts
  • Interests:Ballet parent
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

Tami1, your profile/interest identifies you as a "ballet parent". But your post above states you are looking for company that accommodates your height. So it appears two people may be sharing a BT4D account, which we don't permit. If so, we need one of you to create a separate account.

#26 DancingSquirrel

DancingSquirrel

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Ballet of course! Drawing, cooking, baking, watching BBC dramas and tv shows, coffee :D
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet student

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

Does anyone know of specific companies that favor short female ballet dancers? I'm still growing, but at 15 I'm only 5'2'' :P

#27 dancermomkme

dancermomkme

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

My DS is 5'6" and just got an apprentice job at Oregon Ballet Theatre.

#28 tropicfive

tropicfive

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Natural health, sports....not necessarily in that order!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mom of 5 dancers/1 professional dancer

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

Dancermomkme - congrats on the job for your DS! Be sure to post on the Congratulations board...we all want to celebrate the hiring/promoting of our DKs! Thanks, too, for the height info - is most of OBT on the shorter side?

#29 learningdance

learningdance

Platinum Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Interests:Mother

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

Does anyone know about Ballet West's company height? I saw on their website the current height they're looking for is 5'3 to 5'9 but I wasn't sure how much taller the rest of the company is. I'm 5'10 and really want to find a tall company!

I watched a clip on YAGP (About judging) and the AD at Ballet West was asked about the degree to which a male dancer he had just seen fit into Ballet west (I believe the dancer was Derek Dunn) and he said, "Our company tends to run tall." Also, you can watch
Breaking Pointe, a new reality tv show on the CW that features BW and my observation is that the dancers did, in fact, appear to be on the taller side.

#30 dancermomkme

dancermomkme

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Dancermomkme - congrats on the job for your DS! Be sure to post on the Congratulations board...we all want to celebrate the hiring/promoting of our DKs! Thanks, too, for the height info - is most of OBT on the shorter side?

Thanks tropicfive. My DS says that the company is mixed in height and there are other short men as well as taller men.

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com