• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 MJ

MJ

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • Interests:uh, Ballet and Computer Security
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, Performer, Occasional teacher, Company board member.

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:24 AM

Wow, PdQ. 

You should inform the permanent teacher how awful the class was. A traditional class, starting in 1st and working towards 5th is best.

#17 Guest_Pas de Quoi_*

Guest_Pas de Quoi_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

I am very hesitant to ever go back to this particular class, and as I am an instructor at another studio that is located not far from this one, and the dance world is a small world indeed,  I am not inclined to inform management or the permanent teacher about this sub's lack of qualifications, and poor performance leading this class.  If, however,  I am asked by another student or the management, about this structure of the class, the choice of music (contemporary - what happened to be on her Ipod) or the theory upon which she based her teaching and comments, I will do so.

#18 Arirhen

Arirhen

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Ballet (adult intermediate)<br />Museums
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Intermediate adult ballet dancer

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:03 PM

I had a bad experience in a class not that long ago too. I ended up leaving after the barre and could almost have cried with humiliation.

The school I used to go to had a beginner class on Fridays, an intermediate class on Mondays and an advanced class on Wednesdays. I usually went to the Friday class and asked the teacher if I was good enough to go on Monday. He said I could try it out.

I went on the Monday feeling confident, ready to show my improvements. 

Unfortunately, the teacher was incredibly rude and talked for about 5 minutes on how unfair it was for a beginner to show up to class and that it would hold all her students back. She hadn't even seen me dance!

She made me stand off to the side and do pliés and tendus on my own while the other class did combinations which we also do on Fridays (maybe with a few pirouette's thrown in and faster music).

She came over occasionally to give me critiques like "you need to push through the floor more with your feet", which I totally understood. I mean, it's always good to go back to basics and improve on them. However, she also added that I was taking time away from her other students.

I felt so humiliated because on top of that, the other girls (mainly late teens, earls 20s) looked over at me like I was an annoyance.

At the end of the barre I walked up to the teacher and said I didn't want to take time away from her students if she felt that I wasn't good enough. She agreed and said that I should stay in the Friday class until the teacher said I was ready.

I just wished she'd given me a chance.

I got my revenge anyway when she came to take the Friday class 2 weeks later because our normal teacher was sick. She was really impressed with my legwork and balances (I was able to hold a releve passe confidently). At the end of class she told me I should definitely come to the Monday class. I had, however, already decided to leave the school for one closer to me. I told her that it was my last class, but thanked her for her praise  :)

#19 Guest_Pas de Quoi_*

Guest_Pas de Quoi_*

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:56 PM

Quite a few members of this class are dancing for local companies and no fewer than six of them were sitting out, rolling on foam rollers or massaging sore muscles by the time class was over. 

Not worth driving for an hour in rush hour traffic in my opinion.  :angry:

#20 diane

diane

Sapphire Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Interests:lots
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:former pro ballet dancer, teacher, mother to 2 DDs

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:58 AM

Aw, that is too bad, Pas de Quoi! I would also not feel like going to a lot of trouble to get to that class. -sigh- 

And in regards to the post above (which I seem to have missed at the time, and now it's "old") - when new, complete beginners show up in my beginning adult classes where most of the students have been there for at least one year, I sure do find it hard to integrate the new ones without making the ones who have been there longer feel alienated! I know that it is good to go "back to basics" again adn again, but I really feel bad about having to hold the "oldies" back even somewhat. 

Not being the owner or boss, I cannot really decide what is done with the students, and I have to find a way to make everyone happy, at least some of the time. ;) 

-d-

#21 jane s

jane s

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:21 AM

Personally I think just walking out of class without a word of apology or explanation is the height of bad manners and simply not acceptable (unless you are suddenly taken ill, of course).

Someone did that after barre in one of my classes recently, apparently because she "didn't like that teacher" (a sub) - OK so the class was a little irregular (she skipped plies and went straight to Rond de Jambe - but before she did that she made a huge point of asking if we were all OK with that & if anyone objected, she wouldn't do it - and this girl did not say a word.)

The way I see it is that the sub was asked to take the class by the regular teacher, so presumably had her full confidence, and should therefore have been treated with exactly the same degree of respect. (The rest of the class after barre was actually very good BTW, if the girl had bothered to stay & find out!)

#22 Sharon B

Sharon B

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer: ballet, modern jazz and tap

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

I don't see why it is bad manners, if the class is bad, then why should I spend my time, energy and money....not everyone is a good teacher and some studios do give misleading information.

#23 jane s

jane s

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:31 AM

Because she didn't have the common courtesy to excuse herself - we just realised when ready to resume after barre that she had vanished. We assumed she had just slipped out to get a drink of water or go to the restroom (as people often do) and were waiting for her to come back. It was a small class, so very very obvious that she had gone, and the teacher definitely felt hurt and snubbed by it.

If the class is genuinely that bad (which it wasn't!) then the appropriate course of action is to make a complaint afterwards, either to the regular teacher or to the faculty.

If the reason for walking out is because the teacher was rude to you, then speak out and say "I'm sorry, I'm going to have to leave, because I'm not prepared to be spoken to like that any longer", don't just go silently!

Passive aggressive behaviour is simply the worst as far as I am concerned.

#24 diane

diane

Sapphire Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Interests:lots
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:former pro ballet dancer, teacher, mother to 2 DDs

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:34 AM

Hmmmm, yeah, I agree, Jane s.

I guess it is just - for me - small attempts to have at least partially-kind interaction and to retain a semblance of decency, which is why I would not "walk out" of class without a word of explanation or anything. Of course, if I am paying for something and I am not happy with what i am getting, I am not happy; but I would still say something, even if it were not the whole truth and nothing but the truth. ;) 

However, everyone is different. :) 

-d-

#25 kylara7

kylara7

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

I have left class after the barre once while taking a drop-in class in a different city while I was travelling for work. I had chosen a level that was slightly below where I thought my skills were at the time, but the teacher seemed to expect more than this grown-woman-who-had-taken-up-ballet-as-an adult body was capable of. He corrected me several times on my (lack of) turnout and insisted that I was not straightening my legs when in fact, my knees were extended as much as possible (I do not have a lick of hyperextension, my turnout is mediocre, and I have muscular legs from sports, so from certain angles, it *can* look like my knees are not straight, something my regular teachers are aware of). I was on vacation and not feeling up to further discussion with a teacher I'd never see again, so I thanked the teacher and pianist at the break and called it an experiment.

I *almost* walked out of a class when a substitute teacher for a regular ballet class turned it into a combination jazz/aerobics class "follow me" routine to pop music/musical theatre music. To be fair, she was probably called in at the last minute, but I was NOT pleased about paying for a useless and frustrating experience (follow-the-teacher doing an improvised dance to "Here Comes The Sun"? No, just no). I did write a note to the studio management expressing my disappointment and that I would refrain from taking class with substitutes based on this experience. The studio is no longer in business, so I assume there were other underlying issues.

I will never be rude, but I am also very mindful that my time, energy, and money are finite and that as an adult student, it is my responsibility to curate my own class schedule/studio choices. Fortunately, these two incidents have been rare exceptions. :)

#26 Guest_Pas de Quoi_*

Guest_Pas de Quoi_*

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:20 PM

Manners, always manners.  Even if I have thought the class was terrible (and sometimes it WAS) I have never just walked out.  I always gather my things quietly, stand politely and when the teacher sees me by the door, I curtsy, say "Thank you" brightly and then leave (quietly).  The "just walking out" part is how I feel, not how I act. 

#27 Sharon B

Sharon B

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer: ballet, modern jazz and tap

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:25 PM

I am an exceptionally well mannered person, and believe in the beauty of protocol and decorum. However, occasionally something is so incredibly bad that leaving is the only solution.

#28 AncientDancer

AncientDancer

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-dancer, teacher, always-a-student, parent of a tween dancers do a budding gymnast

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:35 AM

I only generally leave when the class ends up being more talk than work. My body gets cold very quickly. I tell the teacher my body is too cold to continue, and sometimes will sit and watch the rest of the class. It is safer than being injured.

#29 jane s

jane s

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:21 AM

Yes, exactly, Diane, PDQ & AD. Sharon, I somehow don't think we're talking about the same kind of circumstances. I guess by "very bad"  you're picturing a large drop-in class being "taught" by a rank amateur, whereas I am describing a regular small class prepaid termly in advance being covered by a fully qualified sub appointed by the regular teacher, who had left her a lesson plan, for a single week.

TBH when I have already paid for the class (non-refundable or transferrable), as well as investing sometimes considerable time/effort/money in travelling to the studio, I would always make the best of whatever was on offer even if I wasn't enjoying it, and then complain later if necessary.

If things were so bad that my safety was an issue, I would excuse myself from or modify the relevant steps citing injury (not a lie BTW as I do have some physical issues).

In association with Zazzle.com