Question about Emoticons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Celestrial'sKiss

Celestrial'sKiss

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, color guard, jazz dance, tap, Irish dance, Native American flute, fencing, dancer fashion, and creating my own costumes
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer and ballet student

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:32 AM

I vaguely remember seeing a forum titled "Rules on Using Emoticons" or something of such similar wording, but now I cannot find it, even when I use the search tool. I just want to know what the rules are for emoticons again and how many emoticons are we allowed to use in a post. :shrug: Thank you.

#2 dancemaven

dancemaven

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,911 posts
  • Interests:Ballet parent
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:42 AM

We do not have specific rules about how many emoticons per post. (But let's do be judicious about it. :D)

There is a Pinned Topic in "How To" that one of our tech-savvy members created showing the codes for the emoticons recognized on this site: http://dancers.invis...showtopic=60810

#3 Celestrial'sKiss

Celestrial'sKiss

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, color guard, jazz dance, tap, Irish dance, Native American flute, fencing, dancer fashion, and creating my own costumes
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer and ballet student

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:29 AM

So, (not that I ever will), but for the sake of example, can I do something like this :happy: :angry: :grinning: :crying: :clapping: ?

#4 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,170 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

Yes, but it would not make sense! :wink:

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#5 Redbookish

Redbookish

Redbookish

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts
  • Interests:Adult dance student
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult student & Performing Arts professor

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:18 AM

I think the principle to keep in mind is that Ballet Talk for Dancers is not a chat forum - we are a message board where discussion about the study of ballet and first-hand information about our experiences are shared. This message board has a good reputation for sound advice and information. We have an international membership, and for many of our members, English is not our first language. So there's a need for us all to try to express ourselves in clear direct English.  Emoticons are useful as a supplement to that, but aren't the way to convey solid information.

The thing that members try not to do is write in "text speak" with words abbreviated, no capital letters or punctuation. It's hard for native English speakers to read, let alone those for whom English is a second or third language  :)

In association with Zazzle.com