****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

Benjamin Millepied to Step Down From Paris Opera Ballet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 camercad

camercad

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...opera.html?_r=0

Well, that didn't last long..

#2 Chinafish

Chinafish

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Watching and doing ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Ballet Student, qualified teacher but not teaching

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

And to be succeeded by Aurélie Dupont!

#3 lsu

lsu

Gold Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:ballet goer and parent

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:02 PM

I think that it's difficult and at times unfair for directors to wear two hats, administrative and creative, especially when the director is also a choreographer. It looks like he tried to breathe new life into this company and his ideas were many but perhaps too much too soon? Having a dancer that has danced in different European companies, I have noticed that Europe seems to lag behind the Americans in utilizing social media as a tool to promote their companies. I applaud Millepied for introducing an agressive social media campaign as an affordable way to reach out to new audience members but still retaining their old customer base. Also, a few years ago, not knowing much about this company except thinking it was a very classical company, (well that was my thinking) my dancer and I tried to get tickets to a one of POB's classics that was unfortunately sold out. So we opted for a contemporary mixed bill and were totally blown away by the immense talent of the dancers, not to mention that the dancers came in all shapes and sizes, another wrongly preconceived notion we had about this large classical company. One female dancer looked to be about 6' but it's hard to tell from the audience. I do think that contemporary dance does lend itself to dancers who don't always fit that classical aesthetic and it was nice to see that POB recognizes the value of each of these dancers. I was not a huge fan of contemporary at the time but watching these kids dance Mats Ek, "The Appartement", has totally changed the way I feel about this genre. Since that time I have seen many contemporary triple bills and I have to agree with Millepied that POB may be (next to Netherland Dance Theatre) one of the better contemporary companies around. Just my humble opinion.

#4 diane

diane

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Interests:lots
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:former pro ballet dancer, teacher, mother to 2 DDs

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:37 PM

I agree that it is probably next to impossible to run a big company while doing all that other stuff, too. 

Running a big, established company with all that history and so many expectations from so many people must be exceedingly frustrating for anyone wanting to instigate any sort of change. 

I wish Ms Dupont all the best! 

-d-

#5 vagansmom

vagansmom

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:dance of all kinds; "Kind and firm in equal doses" education
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of professional dancer; musicality coach

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:41 AM

I do wish Millepied didn't trash the dancers on his way out. It's one thing to say things privately to close family and friends, but never, ever good to make such comments to the public. Not good for the dancers, and definitely not good for his future at any other ballet institution. He has a long career ahead of him; I hope he learns from his mistakes.

Anytime emotions are involved, you cannot come up with an impartial and objective assessment of any given problem.

Benigno Aquino III

#6 bbyblmrs

bbyblmrs

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Dance, theater
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mother to Dancer, balletgoer, ancient wannabe

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:59 PM

Do you think that there is any possibility that he could end up at Washington Ballet?

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com