Dream come true

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LaFilleSylphide

LaFilleSylphide

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, balletomane, Faculty advisor/member of childrens' school

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

I cannot believe it... but sometimes it's good to live in one of those single party run countries, because today (on the 90th anniversary of F. Castro), I got to meet VIENGSAY VALDES!!! In person! I got photos, and she's amazing, and she's beautiful, and so stunning, and so strong, and she can balance forever and ever, and I'm still all a flutter from getting to meet someone I thought I would never in my life get to see perform in person!

#2 Doubleturn

Doubleturn

Platinum Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:ex-dancer, teacher & parent

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

Wow - I saw her dance in London a few years ago and was totally captivated, such personality and performance supported by amazing technique.

#3 LaFilleSylphide

LaFilleSylphide

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, balletomane, Faculty advisor/member of childrens' school

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

Her personality on stage really does start a fire! She burns it up with how vibrant and flamboyant she is. Her balance is so incredible too! I loved the way she could hold a balance in arabesque forever and a day!

#4 Redbookish

Redbookish

Redbookish

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts
  • Interests:Adult dance student
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult student & Performing Arts professor

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:42 AM

Wonderful! What a lovely & exciting experience. There is nothing like a live performance.

#5 DaPixie

DaPixie

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:Dancing every day, teaching ballet and introducing ballet to Cambodia.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Student, Ballet School Co-Owner and Director 24/7, and Ballet Teacher 6 days a week

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

Yay! So glad for you. I am looking forward to meet her too. We'll get a performance here in Phnom Penh on the 27th of August. I have my VIP seats reserved.

#6 LaFilleSylphide

LaFilleSylphide

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:48 AM

Hopefully your stage there will be better than ours.

#7 DaPixie

DaPixie

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:Dancing every day, teaching ballet and introducing ballet to Cambodia.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Student, Ballet School Co-Owner and Director 24/7, and Ballet Teacher 6 days a week

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:10 AM

It is not too bad. I've danced on it before, but it's a raked stage.

Also the ceiling is low, making anyone on the stage appear gigantic. When the Korean National Ballet performed there they looked like they were all 10ft tall.

#8 DaPixie

DaPixie

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:27 AM

So, when Patricio Reves and Viengsay Valdes came to Cambodia they stayed at the hotel of my boss at the radio, and they used one of the studios I regularly use for their rehearsal. I was lucky to be allowed in.
Me and another dancer I asked them if they minded if we watched their rehearsal, and then Viengsay asked me if we wanted to do barre with them. I almost peed myself I was so shocked and excited.
I am thrilled I got to do barre with them, but boy did I feel inadequate. I felt like a potato at the barre. Completely out of place and inadequate. But they were focused on their work so I think they didn't pay too much attention to me.

I never expected this would happen, but yeah this was a dream come true for me too. Wow.

In association with Zazzle.com