****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

Program with pedagogy and choreography focus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lady Elle

Lady Elle

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Ballet training, SIs, University programs
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mother of student, Studio Office Manager, Adult student

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hi, I tried to look up this topic but didn't find anything. My daughter, who is just ending 8th grade right now really has a passion for teaching and choreography. She might like to be with a smaller company for a while but she really see's teaching and choreography in her future. She would love to be at a university with a strong ballet program but also have opportunities that would help her in these specific areas. any thoughts?

#2 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts
  • Interests:Antiques, history, art, museums, architecture...
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Resident ballet faculty The HARID Conservatory, Vaganova methodology/pedagogy, but basically just good teaching

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

Butler has a strong pedagogy program. Please run a search through your search engine for individual universities to see what their curriculum includes. May I suggest starting with IU, Butler, University for the Arts, NC University for the Arts Raleigh-Durham, in no particular order, to get you started.

V. Schneider
Resident Faculty HARID Conservatory

Please understand I enjoy my volunteer work at Ballet Talk for Dancers. The two may seem related, however I prefer to be me online, not my job!

#3 Lady Elle

Lady Elle

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mother of student, Studio Office Manager, Adult student

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

Thank you. its just good to have some starting point as I could be researching this stuff forever! I realize we still have years to go and who knows if her focus will change!

#4 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts
  • Interests:Antiques, history, art, museums, architecture...
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Resident ballet faculty The HARID Conservatory, Vaganova methodology/pedagogy, but basically just good teaching

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

And so may the programs.

V. Schneider
Resident Faculty HARID Conservatory

Please understand I enjoy my volunteer work at Ballet Talk for Dancers. The two may seem related, however I prefer to be me online, not my job!

#5 djeowmom

djeowmom

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of Dancer, Dancer, Fan

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Lady Elle, having just concluded the college search with DD, I would recommend looking at the University of South Carolina and The Hartt School at the University of Hartford.

USC is a fledgeling dance program, but striving to expand in quality. They offer pedagogy and I believe those who choose that path do receive teacher certification at the end of the program.

The Hartt School, a more developed dance program, is less structured in their pedagogy program, meaning no certification at the end, but all dance majors are offered the opportunity to extend their credentials with the pedagogy program. Although it is not a requirement and not all choose to do the extra work, it is an offering they are extremely proud of.

#6 dcns

dcns

Silver Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

University of Oklahoma has a pedagogy program and every year there is the Young Choreographer's Showcase.  

#7 Craftsy

Craftsy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:ballet. contemporary
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of dancers

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:04 PM

Pedagogy track at Hartt is quite rigorous. I believe the students participate in the community division classes as well as outside the university.

#8 Lady Elle

Lady Elle

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:47 PM

This is so fun to see this thread pop up again. I started this topic when my daughter was in 8th grade. She's now in 11th grade and we are in the throws of college planning! Oklahoma is on our radar. As is USC, Utah, Indiana, and Arizona.

#9 threegirlpileup

threegirlpileup

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:many dance disciplines, dance accessories
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dance studio administrator, parent

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:23 AM

This is also the direction my dd is headed. Two other schools on our radar are Virginia Commonwealth Univ. and University of North Carolina at Greensboro (although UNC-G definitely has a contemporary rather than ballet focus).

#10 lakemom

lakemom

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:ballet, pointe, jazz, modern, tap
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of dancer

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:17 PM

U Iowa?

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com