****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

Best summer program for college credit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 balletimprovement

balletimprovement

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:teacher & writer

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

We have an aspiring ballet teacher. She is Royal Academy certified and will minor in dance. She 'should' be able to go anywhere and connect with a local dance school as a classical ballet instructor. The summer of 2013 will be her last summer before college graduation. To give her resume a boost, what would you recommend? Butler has a summer program that includes some ballet study in St. Petersburg, which should be a feather in her cap. Any better ideas?

#2 tutu2you

tutu2you

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mother of a dancer, former recreational ballet dancer and long-time lover of ballet and all forms of dance

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

My DD is a former Butler dance major. As far as I am aware, the summer program that involves the dancers going to St. Petersburg is only for their ballet majors, and I think you have to be invited to travel with the group. I don't think it is an "open" program.

Has your DD gone away to any Sumer Intensives before? There are threads on all of the Summer Intensives located here in the archives http://dancers.invis...p?showforum=141 and here http://dancers.invis...p?showforum=136. Lots of information is available for your perusal.

Will her college dance program not direct her to a program that is best for her?
"Many other women have kicked higher, balanced longer, or turned faster. These are poor substitutes for passion."
Agnes de Mille

"I never said no to anything that had to do with dancing."
Annabelle Gamson

#3 quill

quill

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a dancer

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

Is there some reason why she needs the credit? If not, why not just choose an intensive that is most interesting to her? I ask because the college credit aspect can add a bit to the cost of the intensive. Ballet West's program, which is excellent, can be taken for college credit, but you have to pay tuition to the university of Utah in order to get the college credit, which would then transfer if her school would accept it. Not all of them do. But, that's not what you asked. So Ballet West would be one, NYU is another if she wants to change it up a bit and explore some contemporary choreography. Those are two I'm aware of, I'm sure there are others.

#4 Pierrette

Pierrette

Bronze Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Education issues, college dance programs, parenting a dancer.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mother of professional dancer

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'm a little confused about which direction "overseas" you wish to go: a U.S. program that sends students overseas, or attending a program in the U.S.? If you want a resume boost, you can't go wrong with Jacob's Pillow. When my daughter attended, we sprang for the college credit through the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. But, in the end, I think it was a waste of money. Just the listing of "Jacob's Pillow" alone, is boost enough on my daughter's resume. And it was a pain to request the transcript twice (since my DD attended two college dance programs) when my DD never needed the extra credit.
Pierrette

#5 rewards

rewards

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

Participants in the Colorado College Dance Fesitval are also offered college credit for an additional fee (quite a bit more).

I saw on the ABT website where college credit is also an option.

UCLA's Dance Theater Intensive, a nine-day program for advanced high school students, offers college credit on a pass/fail basis. The focus is not ballet.

North Carolina Dance Theater advertises that you can receive credits toward your college degree at UNC Charlotte. I'm not sure if those are transferable.

Besides Ballet West, I'm not sure what other summer ballet intensives offer college credit.

#6 JaniceS

JaniceS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, College and Career options
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of ballet dancer

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:04 PM

La Roche College (PA) offers credits for the dance SI at Bodiography Center for Movement.  $465/credit. Students can get 3 credits in ballet, 3 credits in contemporary. Excellent program, according to my DD.

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com