68 replies to this topic

#61 CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Summer intensives; year-round residential programs
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a dancer

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:46 AM

Can anyone provide 2015 feedback on Joffrey vs. Ballet Chicago at the pre-professional level? My DD has participated in both of their SIs and enjoyed both; last year she was at PNB. We are thinking of moving to Chicago, so are now interested in PP programs for the academic year. DD loves Balanchine, but should I be concerned about the smaller size of Ballet Chicago? Any pressure from either program to attend their SI? (She would like to return to PNB next summer.) Thanks!

#62 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,169 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, CinnamonGirl. :)

I'm sorry, but we do not do comparisons between schools here. We provide first hand information about the schools, on their individual threads, but you will need to decide from the information which school would work best for you. 

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#63 kr12

kr12

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, Parent

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:03 PM

My experience with Joffrey is that they encourage the students to do to a SI away if possible.  Many of the younger students will stay local, but the older students have been to places like SAB, ABT, Walnut Hill, Houston Ballet, SFB, and many others...How old is your dancer?

#64 dancemaven

dancemaven

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,911 posts
  • Interests:Ballet parent
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:30 AM

We have dedicated threads for both Joffrey and Ballet Chicago. Please ask (and answer) specific questions regarding the specific programs on their dedicated threads. :thumbsup:

#65 CVan

CVan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer parent

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

Anyone familiar with Chicago Academy for the Arts:  any knowledge of female dancers who have gone on to company contracts?  They really advertise two male dancers who got into NYCB, but that was in the 80's and 90's.  The school seems to emphasize jazz over ballet.

#66 CVan

CVan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer parent

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

Anyone familiar with Chicago Academy for the Arts:  any knowledge of female dancers who have gone on to company contracts?  They really advertise two male dancers who got into NYCB, but that was in the 80's and 90's.  The school seems to emphasize jazz over ballet.

#67 Midammom

Midammom

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Irish dance, classical music, travel and spending time with family.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of dancer

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

I'm interested in any information on A&A Ballet in downtown Chicago. We are considering the summer program, but I think this may be their first year hosting the intensive and are unsure of style and quality of instruction offered. Has anyone studied with them (at Joffrey) in the past or currently who could offer some information/review?

#68 kr12

kr12

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, Parent

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:38 AM

A&A Ballet was started by former Joffrey Academy directors  Anna and Alexei after they were let go from the Joffrey.  Several students followed them.  The students did well at YAGP in Chicago this year.  One of them won the Youth Grand Prix title.  I don't know much how the schedules, teaching, or SI is set up there.  Their style is more Russian based and they are both top quality teachers.  I think them leaving Joffrey was more high level/red tape things than their actual ability as teachers/directors. To put in perspective the Academy Artistic Director is also the Company's Artistic Director, Ashley Wheater now.

My daughter occasionally had Anna for class when they were still at Joffrey and did enjoy her class.  She was in the lowest level of pre-pro at the time so it was very rare to have one of them sub for her classes.  Alexei choreographed the annual end of the year production for the Joffrey Academy and a piece for the trainee/studio company's "Winning Works." I always enjoyed watching those.  My daughter had Medina as the main teacher last year in pre-pro at Joffrey (one of the faculty that moved to A&A).  She was strict, but the kids learned a lot from her.

#69 SewRibbons

SewRibbons

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:Ballet mostly!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of dancer; returning adult student

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

In response to the question about any company contracts for females from ChiArts, I know of one girl who is an apprentice with Elements Contemorary Ballet. She graduated ChiArts last year.

In association with Zazzle.com