****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

Does your son have a mentor (or someone who fulfills that role)?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 bluemountain

bluemountain

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, ballroom, parent of a boy dancer, parent of a girl dancer
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a boy dancer, parent of a girl dancer

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

Mentor or not, I have always wanted for my DS to have a parson in his dance life who would genuinely care about DS's growth as a dancer. Up until this year his school would not have a main male teacher, which was very difficult for me to grasp. They would have three male teachers changing each other based on their travel and other teaching plans. This year we are vey happy to see that they do indeed have a male teacher teaching the majority of male and technique classes. I do hope it will stay like that. It happened to be that person takes a note of DS and gives enough of corrections and comments to keep DS quite happy.

In short, I think it is very important to have a knowledgeable person who oversees your child's development and adds the right direction to it.

#17 5uptown

5uptown

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:ballet schools/training
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of a male ballet student

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:42 PM

Thank you all for your continued input. Like bluemountain describes, my son has a rotating group of male teachers, though there is one who is sort of the "main" teacher. Unfortunately, since the term began a few weeks ago, my son is expressing that his main teacher "doesn't like" him (which I doubt is true, but I also know that this teacher always has 1 or 2 favorites in the class, a position my son has held in the past but apparently doesn't any more). My son is extremely hard-working and dedicated, and his teachers always remark on his "facility" as well as his attitude, focus and work ethic, and I really doubt that they "don't like" him. 

My son is also very hard on himself, and is very driven. I have been talking to him about how important it is for him to focus on his own growth as a dancer, and not to depend on approval from a particular teacher to feel good. But its hard, he's still a kid, and of course he wants to feel valued by his teacher, particularly since boys get so little positive feedback or approval for being ballet dancers outside of dance school. 

I do hope that my son is able to make connections to teachers who will become mentors. Let me say again that I am not looking for reasons to seek people outside his schooling, I just am wondering how and whether that has happened for other boys, and the responses here (and in the cross talk thread regarding girls) make me think that it may also be something that he finds as he gets a little older. 

#18 5uptown

5uptown

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:ballet schools/training
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of a male ballet student

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

balletmuse, I just saw that! I guess I am not alone in feeling like this aspect may be lacking in (some? many?) dance training programs. 

vrsfanatic-- it is so great that your school is addressing this for their students. And like I've said upthread, maybe my son is just too young to have experienced it and it will come. I do understand why it takes time and maturity for students to demonstrate to their teachers that they have both the ability and the drive to really pursue a career in dance.

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com