****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

Do boys see ballet as a sport?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nynydancer

nynydancer

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:dance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:29 PM

I have 2 dancers in my family- a DS 12 and a DD 10.  Today they told me they would rather be poor and live in a crappy apartment than give up ballet (for example if I lost my job or something).  DS has only been at it for about 6 months but is progressing very rapidly.  He loves it.  It seems like for him it's a way to challenge himself.  He gets very sore and he thinks that's cool.  He's very into fitness.  He loves the boys only classes especially because they are especially challenging and the male teacher really pushes him, but he gives 100% in every class.  The school has taken a strong interest in him, letting him have weekly privates and moving him up several levels.  But he's not what I am used to.  My daughter has been dancing since 4.  He doesn't flounce around whenever he hears music, or sashay around the house the way my daughter does, but he does practice his moves a lot.  Do boys just kind of see ballet as a sport? 

#2 Moxie

Moxie

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of boy dancers

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

It is very much a sport and artistic pursuit.  My 3rd son has chosen ballet over sports as did his older brothers even though they have all been excellent athletes and love sports.  I think ballet just fulfills even more for them.

#3 finallykf

finallykf

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Boys and Ballet, Ballet Moms
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Son dances

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:07 PM

My son doesn't necessarily view it as a "sport" but he definitely feels that one needs to be in good athletic shape in order to be a successful ballet dancer, whether that person is male or female. He often compares ballet to sports such as football and feels like ballet dancers are actually in much better physical condition. I think what he really likes about it is that it is a combination of art and athleticism, as well as a means to express himself. I think in general, the guys probably tend to look at ballet maybe a bit more athletically because of all the difficult turns and jumps they have to do which require an adult male body during the height of their careers, not to mention the fact that they have to lift and carry the ballerinas all over the stage. That takes some serious muscle!

#4 mln

mln

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:classical ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of 17-yr. old boy in ballet

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:28 PM

Nynydancer,

I think your son is showing his enthusiasm in his own way, but it is enthusiasm nevertheless.  If he treats ballet like a sport, let it be his sport. The artistry will come.

#5 nynydancer

nynydancer

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback!  Interesting to see where his ballet journey takes him :)

#6 tentative

tentative

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:asking "why" a lot
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of one professional and one pre-pro dancer

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:59 PM

I think my boys view it as finallykf says--they are very aware of their physical ability, it takes lots of athletic ability. But they both are very involved artistically as well. Youngest played sports a little while taking a break from ballet. My oldest (18) is also a musician and just artistically inclined all around. My youngest (15) is very critically aware of the difference between good and great dancing. Oldest never was much for striking a pose until recently. Youngest is a little more apt to show a handsome arabesque line in the kitchen. I've put the kabosh on leaps in the house since they've gotten big enough to break furniture and shake the floor. 

:hyper:  :jump:  :huepfen:

#7 nynydancer

nynydancer

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:48 PM

tentative, thank you!  Your post really made me smile!   Mine has always been very artistically inclined, but is starting to really strike poses and likes what he sees in the reflection of the sliding glass door, LOL.  So cute.  

#8 Boydancermom

Boydancermom

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Foreign films, yoga and anything not related to driving my 4 kids everywhere.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a new male dancer

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

Our son was a gymnast and moved to ballet 2 years ago at the age of 13.  He much prefers ballet because he can "express himself" - so in answer to your question, he views it as a sport and an art form.  Best of both worlds!

#9 nynydancer

nynydancer

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

Boydancermom, that's great!  I love that!  My DK moved from karate, which he still does a little, to ballet.

#10 dancemaven

dancemaven

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,905 posts
  • Interests:Ballet parent

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:49 AM

Gentle Reminder: A few posts were removed because a personal conversation was developing with a non-Parent of Boys member. Please remember the demographic for posting in this Forum and the topic at hand. :)

#11 5uptown

5uptown

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:ballet schools/training
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of a male ballet student

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

No, my son does not think of it as a sport, though when people ask him if he plays sports he often rattles off the sports he does recreationally and then says, "but mainly I am a dancer". It's extremely athletic, but I don't think he sees it as a sport.

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com