****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

Belts to keep tights up?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 solnishko

solnishko

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:ballet and modern
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

Hello,

It's the practice in my son's studio for the boys to use homemade elastic belts to keep their tights up. You take a 1 inch wide length of elastic and sew on a snap-together fitting and the loose end can be cinched up.

DS pulls his tights as high as he can get them, then slips on the belt and tightens it. Then he slides the belt up and starts rolling the tights and belt over and over until it hits his hip.

Sometimes he'll forget, or misplace, the homemade belt and he'll just use whatever belt he can find - leather, webbing, etc.

Is there a better way? Any tricks of the trade he may benefit from? Nothing worse than a saggy crotch in his tights!

BTW he's very slim. Maybe it's not an issue for more muscular boys?

Thank you!

#2 Moxie

Moxie

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of boy dancers

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

We have some tights that we have sewn elastic on as suspenders.  X in the back.  Others we just sew an elastic into a circle and slip on.  No snaps or anything.  

#3 mln

mln

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:classical ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of 17-yr. old boy in ballet

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

My ds uses your elastic belt method for one set of tights, but he has suspenders sewn in several other pairs.  He wears his shirt over the suspenders.  We use the same elastic for the suspenders as we do for the belts.  The suspenders are primarily leftover from performances, when he needed a smooth line up the torso under the tunic.

#4 tentative

tentative

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:asking "why" a lot
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of one professional and one pre-pro dancer

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

Same as Moxie, sewn elastic in a snug circle. My youngest loved suspenders, but was having trouble with it causing his eczema to flair. Can you use a wider elastic? We've had better success with 1 1/2 inch and the "no roll" elastic--doesn't matter if white or black. Could it be the type of tights? Footless would likely be better and milliskins are better at staying in my opinion. 

#5 bluemountain

bluemountain

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, ballroom, parent of a boy dancer, parent of a girl dancer
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a boy dancer, parent of a girl dancer

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

I just sew it in a circle, without snaps. And I made a few of them, about 15 or so, because they are easy to loose. DS cannot use suspenders, the teachers are asking for the shirts to be tucked in.

#6 Thyme

Thyme

Silver Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Interests:parent of dancing boy and extremely late starting student!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent and adult student

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:04 PM

Yes nothing worse than crotch webbing!!

My experience with this is that as they get bigger and have more muscles this mostly stops being an issue. The big caveat to this is that if we are talking footed tights, the legs have to be long enough.

Other strategies are waist belts and suspenders which are great (but both are limited in their use). We found that the brand of tights made a big difference in terms of the cut and type of material they use. I agree that WearMoi makes excellent tights for the long thin guy. Footless tights work well too because you can hoik them up as far as you wish. Some men's tights (specifically Mirella) have some very strange cuts which I are designed for boys with actual calf and thigh muscles (DS is only just now getting this definition) and those tights hung loosely on him. TERRIBLE.

16yo DS wears footless tights all the time at the studio now as few footed tights give him a long enough leg and crotch webbing still happens  :firedevil: . Plus if he has a contemporary class he can easily go barefoot.

For performances (when he has to wear footed tights) these are mostly custom made now.

#7 Ballet dragon

Ballet dragon

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Mom of boy and girl ballet dancers
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of boy and girl ballet dancers

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:22 PM

My DS loves suspenders.  We use 1 inch elastic, sewn in a "V" in the back.  He likes to have smooth line on the bottom half of his torso, and fortunately, his teachers don't care if he wears his shirts over his tights, as long as the shirt is snug fitting.

#8 solnishko

solnishko

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

Wow I am glad I started this topic!

DS wears BodyWrappers tights because they are convertible. His studio dress code is footed tights. However the Bodywrappers do sag at the back of the knee a little bit.

Regarding suspenders, he could probably get away with those in some cases when he wears the white Body Wrappers tops that are specified in the dress code. Although it's not strictly dress code, he has a one-piece leo that has a built in dance belt and a white top that zips up. He loves this and it looks nice and smooth on him. He can usually get away with it in class. he BodyWrappers tops don't fit snugly enough.

His very first pair of tights were M Stevens milliskin, and he's tried Repetto, but neither have a convertible foot.

I will try the elastic in a circle idea. I actually considered it the other day when I saw a bunch of plain elastic headbands!

Has anyone tried the boys dance too tights?

#9 Thyme

Thyme

Silver Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Interests:parent of dancing boy and extremely late starting student!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent and adult student

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:55 PM

Yes we tried the boys dance 2 tights. As much as l like their stuff, DS did not like something about the fit of the tights. He loved the shorts. He also really likes the Wearmoi zipper front leo with the built in dance belt. Is that the one your son has Solnishko? His favorite tights now are by Mondor. These are a Canadian brand which he rates higher than Wear Moi.

#10 dinkalina

dinkalina

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:My kids are dancers.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mom of dancers

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

Tights have been kind of an evolutionary process for DS.  We went from nothing with a saggy constitution, to suspenders with the waistband up to his armpits, to currently a belt in class.  He doesn't like the elastic belts and instead uses a canvas belt with a slim metal buckle he got with a pair of jeans.  he likes that belt the best because it doesn't stretch.  All of his performance tights have suspenders.  He likes the sansha tights that come with suspenders for performance and he's currently in Wearwoi tights for class because they require gray and sansha doesn't make necessary color. 

#11 fourseasons

fourseasons

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of dancers

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

Boys Dance Too has a new line of tights that have pre-sewn buttons on the waistband. Then you can buy suspenders with a series of slits to attach to the buttons, so they are adjustable as the dancer grows. DS is loving these, and prefers the footless kind with socks. Do take time to singe the ends of the suspenders, especially if you cut off any excess for size. Otherwise, they can fray. I notice he keeps the elastic belt in his bag too for when he wears tights with no suspenders I guess. It's a simple 1" piece of elastic that has a small acrylic clasp. I think my DD bought it from a dance supply store.

#12 solnishko

solnishko

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

DS has to wear footed tights in class.

He's never done suspenders, but could try.

@Thyme, I believe it is the Wear Moi one-piece that he likes. It's called the "Condor" :)

@dinkalinka, I found a copy of cotton webbing belts with streamlined buckles, and he's okay with those, too. Found them online.

DS's legs are so slim that tights sometimes don't fit tightly to the ankles or knees. The BodyWrappers do this, which is why I thought to try the boysdancetoo convertible tights.

Your DS's opinions and your details are so valuable, especially – as you know – tights for boys and men are expensive and cannot be returned.

#13 chel

chel

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:parent of male dancer
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of male dancer

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

We go the same route at fourseasons but after buying boysdance too I make my own.  DS has buttons sewn to the inside of his tights and uses elastic with a button hole cut out as suspenders.

#14 myballetboy

myballetboy

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:summer intensives, male dancer, conservatories, professional companies
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:06 AM

I know this thread is old but if anyone is still interested...my DS and most boys in his school wear M Stevens milliskin footed tights and they cut a circle (about 2") in the bottom of the foot to make them convertible. They stretch over the foot easily and don't run. Also I good online resource for men's wear is tutu.com. They will sew suspenders into the tights you purchase for an additional charge.

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com