#16 Mobadt

Mobadt

Gold Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer's Mom

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

It is my understanding that each member company is only allowed to send a maximum of 8 dancers to the scholarship class. There is also an additional fee to attend this class. At our studio our AD extends this priviledge, the dancer does not get to choose to go.

#17 pumpkinangel

pumpkinangel

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Watching my dd's dance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

Our AD has said that she will get the info out to us soon.  I was just wondering if dd should be chosen to attend the scholarship class, does anyone know if she will need to have audition pictures?

#18 Mobadt

Mobadt

Gold Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

My DDs have never had to have pictures.

#19 pumpkinangel

pumpkinangel

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Thank you Mobadt :D

#20 cakers

cakers

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Ballet related interest is supporting my daughter.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

Hmmm, interesting that AD must extend privilege at some studios (Mobadt).  If there is a limit on the number of dancers from each studio, then I guess that makes some sense, but I was not aware there was a limit.  We have a very small company, so we've never had to worry about that apparently.  Our AD encourages anybody who wants to audition to try. 

Now, when it comes to the Honors classes, I'm under the impression that although the info states that the adjudicator can make these selections, that the selections are usually made by the directors.

#21 Momof3darlings

Momof3darlings

Diamonds Circle

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,264 posts
  • Interests:Parent of professional dancer and tutumaker. Dance School Administrative Staff
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet fan, Costumer, Mom of dancers

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

Each region handles both scholarship and Honors classes based on the model that best works for their region.

Balance in everything ballet!

#22 pumpkinangel

pumpkinangel

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Since this is our first time I have never heard of the Honors classes.  Are these only for Honor Companies?

#23 cakers

cakers

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Ballet related interest is supporting my daughter.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

They are for selected dancers from each Company.   According to website information, the adjudicators MAY select the dancers, but if not, they are selected by the directors.  My impression, in our region at least, is that the dancers are chosen by the directors.

#24 Kathleen Sinclair

Kathleen Sinclair

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:teacher, director

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

Mom of 3darlings is correct....each region has their own guidelines for scholarships and honors class. And furthermore, many member company directors give their own directives towards auditions and other aspects of festival for their dancers.

Kathleen Sinclair
Regional Dance America
National Board member

#25 mamasokol

mamasokol

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Performing Arts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

Wondering about the guidelines to scholarship awards.  If someone who had a prior contract with a ballet company (not second company but actually the ballet company) and is 22 years old eligible for scholarship?  Seems unfair that this type of caliber dancer would be able to come in and sweep up three scholarship offers.  

#26 mom2two

mom2two

Silver Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:Supporting my dancers

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

Interesting, mamasokol. 

We've never really understood the guidelines around the scholarship class and DDs did not attend.  Our school administration chooses who goes to the scholarship class and only sent two younger / lower level dancers this year.  

#27 mamasokol

mamasokol

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Performing Arts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

mom2two...our school directors also chose who attend the scholarship class.  My DD did attend and was awarded a scholarship so I am not bitter but it just seems slightly unethically to send a dancer who has that level of experience into a class with teenagers.  Can a 13 year old prodigy really stand out against someone nearly a decade older who danced professionally in a top 4 ballet company (or any ballet company for that matter)?  Just food for thought...and maybe those limits haven't been pushed in the past or maybe the rules allow for this.  

#28 Mobadt

Mobadt

Gold Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

I believe I know of who you are talking about mamaskol. And I agree - seems a huge grey area. I have informed my AD of my concerns and believe she will address it from there.

#29 lovedance82

lovedance82

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:dancing, singing, reading, doing, being
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer, teacher

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

I don't necessarily think that is unethical.  Not all schools/companies giving scholarships are looking for a seasoned dancer.  They may be looking for an "up and comer" or maybe they are looking to work with a young dancer who shows great potential.  RDA (I don't believe...) doesn't have upper age limits on their performers.  The region I'm from has college aged companies.  They are certainly more seasoned and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them HAD danced professionally for a year or 2 before going to college.  Maybe at the time they were in the company they weren't ready emotionally or it wasn't a good fit for them etc.  Also, some programs offering scholarship DO have upper age limits.  Some of those experienced dancers aren't too old for RDA but will not receive scholarships because of their age.

#30 Momof3darlings

Momof3darlings

Diamonds Circle

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,264 posts
  • Interests:Parent of professional dancer and tutumaker. Dance School Administrative Staff
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet fan, Costumer, Mom of dancers

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

mama-I would venture that even if they were being allowed to participate in the scholarship auditions, they would be looked at for scholarships that a 13 year old would not receive. (or vice versa)  While I am not one standing up for a former pro auditioning with students and certainly do not agree that this should happen, there might be a fine line in RDA guidelines when a person is performing with an RDA company.   I know of a few RDA companies that have not yet become professional companies but teeter-tooter between student company and allowing a few professionals to perform.  

Hopefully Kathleen will see this and be able to help, but in the meantime, do mention your concerns to your AD who is the one to bring it up with her regions board. 

Balance in everything ballet!

In association with Zazzle.com