#1 aldballerina

aldballerina

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Dance, Teaching
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, new to teaching

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hi, I would like to know more about the RDA choreography conference/intensive. I am submitting a student piece this year for festival adjudication. I was looking in to the intensive as a choreographer. I was wondering what it entitled. If I am accepted as a student/emerging choreographer into the festival do I automatically become accepted into the intensive? What would the conference be like as a young choreographer? I've already looked on the website, but I would like to hear some personal experiences.
Thank you!

#2 glvogelzang

glvogelzang

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:teacher/administrator

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Hi
I am happy to answer any questions you may have about the RDA National Choreography Intensive. If you are a member of RDA and are chosen by your region for the Choreography scholarship, then you are automatically accepted into the program as an Emerging Choreographer. Emerging Choreographers work with the Directors of Choreography and Music in the morning and then are given time in the afternoon to choreograph. Usually the music and the choreographic assignment are given to you that day. So, you have to learn to work quickly! Most choreographers find this incredibly challenging. Additionally, your work is shown each evening. After the showing, all of the choreographers participate in a critique session led by the Directors of Choreography and Music. This is incredibly valuable for choreographers to receive constant guidance and feedback.

Choreographers who attend the National Choreography Intensive learn how to work quickly, how to analyze their choreography, how to work with a variety of dancers and how to proceed on their path to becoming a choreographer.

It's also important to note that even if you are not chosen as your region's representative, you may still apply to be an emerging choreographer. The application process is on our website and the deadline is May 1.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Gretchen Vogelzang, Executive Director
Regional Dance America

#3 dixie

dixie

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, jazz
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of dancer

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Ms. Vogelzang,

Could you please provide the dates and location for this year's Choreography Intensive? I keep finding conflicting information online.

Also, is it possible to get a scholarship from submitting a video application, or are the scholarships only available to those who compete in the regional competitions?

Thanks for your help!

#4 glvogelzang

glvogelzang

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hi
The National Choreography Intensive 2013 will be held July 22 through August 2 at the Utah Valley University in Provo, UT.

#5 glvogelzang

glvogelzang

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Also, there are no scholarships for those submitting a video application. Scholarships are only awarded to members through the regional festivals. Thanks for your interest in the NCI! Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Gretchen

#6 Tbeth

Tbeth

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet mom

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

This is our first time attending RDA (Fort Smith Location)...would you mind offering some guidance to the following:
1. What would you suggest we pack for our RDA weekend both dancer and observer?
2. What classes are available to my DD?
3. How do we register for those classes?
4. Are there extra curricular activities within the RDA area?
Thank You

#7 Momof3darlings

Momof3darlings

Diamonds Circle

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,262 posts
  • Interests:Parent of professional dancer and tutumaker. Dance School Administrative Staff
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet fan, Costumer, Mom of dancers

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Tbeth are you asking questions about your RDA regional event or the RDA Choreography Conference that is held during the summer. If it's the regional event, you will receive that information from your school director. We can move your post to a place where others in your region might answer. But if you're asking about Choreography Conference then we should leave the question here.
Balance in everything ballet!

#8 mamasokol

mamasokol

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Performing Arts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

DD is in route to NCI..she's quite excited!  Thought I'd post here to see if anyone else is attending or has kids who are attending?

#9 Temps de cuisse

Temps de cuisse

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:teacher

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

I have a dancer attending....

In association with Zazzle.com