#16 hersupport

hersupport

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:homeschooling, reading, ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of dancer

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

They accepted a class of 14 for this year.  But it turned into a class of 12.  I am not sure what their maximum number is.  At one point their website said between 12-24, I don't know if that is still the case.  

#17 Trishup

Trishup

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:summer intensives and technique tips
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mother of a dancer

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

I believe in total. DD's roommate was there last year and I believe 3 others were there last year as well.

#18 Noodles

Noodles

Silver Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Interests:Ballet and theater
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of a dancer

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

Can anyone update me on the academic side of things?

I know that it was posted that tutors are available, but is there dedicated 'school work' time or are the kids really expected to manage their academics on their own?
For those that are doing on line academics are they finding that they have enough time to get their work done?

#19 curiositycat

curiositycat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, cirque, teaching US history, animals, photography
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

Hi there! I've checked the Colburn site, and I can't seem to find how the long the program is. Is it a year? Two years? Thanks!

#20 hersupport

hersupport

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:47 AM

curiositycat - The program runs each year from late August until early June.  In the spring dancers are notified if they are invited back for the following year.  The age of the dancers also plays a part in how long they might want to remain at Colburn.  There is one dancer there who is in her third year, but will be moving on this year.  Several dancers are in their second year and some have only stayed for a year.  So it really depends.

#21 mceejay

mceejay

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:dance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a boy who studies ballet

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

Hersupport,

Where have the dancers who've moved on go? We are currently in L.A. and my DS will be taking class sometime this week at Colburn.

#22 hersupport

hersupport

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:40 PM

mceejay - My dd did mention a new boy in class this week.  I hope he enjoyed the class.  As far as I know dancers are now at Boston Ballet (trainee), San Francisco Ballet (trainee), Pacific Northwest Ballet (Professional Division), Dance Theatre of Harlem (in the company), and SAB.  I might be missing some.  I am not sure yet for this year.  

#23 hersupport

hersupport

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:48 PM

Can anyone update me on the academic side of things?

I know that it was posted that tutors are available, but is there dedicated 'school work' time or are the kids really expected to manage their academics on their own?
For those that are doing on line academics are they finding that they have enough time to get their work done?

Just noticed this - dancing is from 10-4 Monday - Saturday.  But the schedule varies some each week, this week they were done a few days at 1.  Several of the dancers use the tutor in the evenings.  So there is time before classes begin and in the afternoon and evening.  I would say most of the students do their school work after dance and on the weekends.  As far as I know everyone is managing to keep up with their academics.  It is really about time management. 

#24 mceejay

mceejay

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:dance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a boy who studies ballet

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:34 PM

Hersupport, he enjoyed the classes very much. He is seriously considering attending year round. He said all the kids were very nice!

#25 hcasmom

hcasmom

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:ballet, summer intensives

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hello, for those who have students currently at Colburn, I have a couple questions after looking at the website

I see they accept video auditions in addition to the NYC and LA live auditions.  Do they ever allow live auditions outside of those 2 dates? My daughter would prefer to do a live audition but we are unable to fly into LA or NYC on those dates.

Any idea how many students will be returning next year? Where are the students who are leaving, going? How many spots will be available for new students?

What do your students enjoy most about the program? How is life in the dorms? 

Any other current advice/information would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much!

#26 hersupport

hersupport

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:45 PM

Hello, for those who have students currently at Colburn, I have a couple questions after looking at the website
I see they accept video auditions in addition to the NYC and LA live auditions.  Do they ever allow live auditions outside of those 2 dates? My daughter would prefer to do a live audition but we are unable to fly into LA or NYC on those dates.

]I few dancers have taken classes this spring along with the regular students.  Talk to Gavin Kelley about this being a possibility if you can't do it otherwise.  But I do think they will take a serious look at a video audition. 

Any idea how many students will be returning next year? Where are the students who are leaving, going? How many spots will be available for new students?

These are all good questions.  I am not really sure.  Maybe six spots but it all depends on what happens this summer.  

What do your students enjoy most about the program?

My dd loves the amazing teachers she has everyday.  Plus the extraordinary guest teachers that come in on a regular basis.  This week Kyra Nichols is there all week teaching them Antique Epigraphs.

How is life in the dorms? 

My dd does not stay in the dorms but the other students seem to really enjoy it.  The cafe is currently being remodeled and is supposed to open this weekend.  

Any other current advice/information would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much!

I cannot believe the growth in my dd this year.  It has been an amazing transformation.  The directors are incredibly kind and professional.  They really want every single dancer in their program to succeed.

#27 hcasmom

hcasmom

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:ballet, summer intensives

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

hersupport, thank you so much for your detailed reply.  I sincerely appreciate your time and responses!  DD and I follow Colburn on social media and are so impressed with what we are seeing.  

#28 mykidsmom

mykidsmom

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:fan, parent

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:27 PM

" I cannot believe the growth in my dd this year. It has been an amazing transformation. The directors are incredibly kind and professional. They really want every single dancer in their program to succeed."

How refreshing! That sounds so lovely. Keeping my eye on this school.

#29 danceimatter

danceimatter

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:dance.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mother

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

The Colburn residence guide states a student must be 16 to live on campus. Does anyone know if the academy makes exceptions for dance students younger then 16?

#30 hersupport

hersupport

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

danceimatter - I know one girl was 15 when the program started and she lived in the dorms this year.  

In association with Zazzle.com