• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,599 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:37 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that we got our Amazon Banner, and if you are thinking of buying something, please use our Amazon link to do so. We get a tiny cut of the sale, which goes to help defray the huge cost of keeping this board up & running.
Many thanks in advance.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis

#2 Wizardofizzard

Wizardofizzard

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:07 PM

So, okie dokie, Clara
Now that the Amazon banner is blazing, could you give a novice ballet parent the title of a great book that is instructive, in a general nature, in the art--different styles, methods of teaching, appreciating the art form, history etc.? (Keep in mind this parent is totally "uneducated" in the area of dance.

#3 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • 17,599 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

A very good one is 'Classical Ballet Technique' by Gretchen Ward Warren. It will have most of the answers you are seeking!

Also, click on this link to a previous discussion on this very same subject!
Dance Books

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis

#4 PrettyonPointe45

PrettyonPointe45

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, music, friends, and dancing (ballet/pointe and jazz.) My favorite ballet is Swan Lake with Sleeping Beauty as a close second.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

This sounds like a bit of an odd question... but where exactly is the banner? ...I must be having a bit of an off day. :)

I'm asking because I normally buy most everything off of Amazon, and I would love to help in any way possible. :thumbsup:

#5 BW

BW

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of former ballet student

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:39 PM

It used to be a banner. Now it is a little square at the top left of your page just to the right of INVISION - it is black and white and orange, all over. :)

#6 PrettyonPointe45

PrettyonPointe45

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, music, friends, and dancing (ballet/pointe and jazz.) My favorite ballet is Swan Lake with Sleeping Beauty as a close second.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:20 PM

:) Thank you!

#7 Guest_pink tights_*

Guest_pink tights_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

I just used the amazon link to add to the 'family ballet library'....

#8 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 34,168 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:11 PM

Thank you, pinktights :) Everytime someone goes to Amazon via our link, and buys something, we get a little percentage, which helps pay the fees for the board. It makes the amount that we have to get during the fund drive, in September, a little less. :blink:

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

In association with Zazzle.com