#1 pavlova

pavlova

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of dancer

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

This article in the LA Times just stopped me in my tracks today and I wanted to share it with you all.
Baghdad Ballet Talk about courage!
I will say some extra prayers tonight for those brave teachers and students.

#2 wannabe

wannabe

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:15 PM

Wow- Inspirational!

#3 diane

diane

Sapphire Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Interests:lots
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:former pro ballet dancer, teacher, mother to 2 DDs

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:40 AM

Inspirational and humbling.

Thanks for posting this.

-d-

#4 Hollywood Ballet

Hollywood Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Dance, choreography, classical music, painting, sculpture, poetry, classic novels, travel!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, dance educator, choreographer, director

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:59 AM

Inspirational, yes, but also very sad. And when the foreign armies eventually pull out of Iraq, if the country goes over completely to the fundamentalists, the situation for dance will only get worse. How tragic, that those innocent children should be denied something that gives them hope and a sense of accomplishment. This is certainly one case where I think if parents have the opportunity to safely send their young aspiring artist to a faraway residential dance academy (i.e. in another country), they should do it without hesitation.

#5 Dance_Scholar_London

Dance_Scholar_London

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • Interests:Ballet pedagogy.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dance Scholar, Higher Education Teacher (Dance)

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:12 AM

That's very brave.

#6 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,599 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

I have goosebumps now......what courage. I wish them the best.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis

#7 Pasdetrois

Pasdetrois

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mother of dancers/lover of ballet

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:00 PM

I'v seen a couple of segments on programs such as 20/20 regarding this school. One was at the beginning of the war and the other within the last year. Both segments brought me to tears. We really don't have any idea what idyllic and spolt rotten lives we live. Thank God for the brave woman who runs the school. Her bravery is multi faceted, the obvious elements are due to the ravages and dangers of war but also because of the fundamentalist fanatics. Those little Iraqi dancers are beautiful! Each child and each family show us what the word courage really means.

#8 CEO

CEO

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:51 AM

I'll pray too! Amazing teachers, parents and students there!

#9 citibob

citibob

Platinum Circle

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:organizational strategy and development, board member, arts management information systems, sometimes teacher, former company dancer

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:43 AM

Yes, this school has been in the news from time to time; here's the article I saw in 2005:

http://abcnews.go.co...tory?id=1399110

This is an excellent example of how ballet can be a force for social change through shared values.

#10 Treefrog

Treefrog

Sapphire Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of 2 dancers

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:37 AM

And when the foreign armies eventually pull out of Iraq, if the country goes over completely to the fundamentalists, the situation for dance will only get worse. How tragic, that those innocent children should be denied something that gives them hope and a sense of accomplishment.

But let's not forget that the school -- and culture generally -- was thriving before the foreign armies arrived. Now it is threatened and barely hanging on. I feel terribly sad that we Americans have taken ballet away from these children.

#11 love_ballet

love_ballet

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Fan, parent of dancer, adult student

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:03 PM

Here is an update to the story: http://abcnews.go.co...ndex?id=7131011

#12 swanchat

swanchat

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

Thank you for posting this. Many of us in my neck of the woods donated gently used leotards, skirts, etc and new pointe shoes to this school along with ballet cds. It brought tears to my eyes! Generosity of spirit will save us all!

In association with Zazzle.com