****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

Belhaven University

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 Lady Elle

Lady Elle

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Ballet training, SIs, University programs
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mother of student, Studio Office Manager, Adult student

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:05 PM

Dancergirlmelody - so what is your next endeavor? And what are the other graduates doing?

#47 Dancergirlmelody

Dancergirlmelody

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Dancing! I also love reading and writing and hanging out with my friends. I don't have time for much else :)
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:I'm at dance major taking ballet 5 days a week and loving it.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:46 PM

Lady Elle -- I am actually joining a ministry team in Berlin, Germany. They have an arts focus to their team, though I will be their first dancer. I'm hoping I'm going to be able to teach and choreograph as well as have some performance opportunities.

Most people in my class are continuing on with dance in some way, though some still do not have plans for their next phase. A few are getting teaching jobs, one is working with the Epicenter For The Arts and Ingredients Dance Company and helping to revamp their ballet program. One is going on to get her MFA in Dance from Sam Houston State. I can't recall any specific company names at the moment, but a number of people have accepted company contracts. A few people are seeking project based work in big cities.

This is pretty typical for my school, a few go on to companies though that is rarely the majority. It seems like by the time a lot of people have graduated from college, a company contract is no longer a primary goal. When it is, people tend to aim for smaller companies--often project or faith based. Recent grads have gone on to careers with Ekklesia Contemporary Ballet, Marigny Opera Ballet, a season with Paul Taylor II, Texas Ballet Theater, Ad Deum Dance, and a number of others. Going on to grad school and choreographic endeavors are also common. Belhaven emphasizes choreography, so many people who came in wanting to perform also find a love in choreography.

#48 Momof3darlings

Momof3darlings

Diamonds Circle

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,248 posts
  • Interests:Parent of professional dancer and tutumaker. Dance School Administrative Staff
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet fan, Costumer, Mom of dancers

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:56 PM

Thank you for being willing to share!  Good luck with your new endeavors. 

Balance in everything ballet!

#49 Lady Elle

Lady Elle

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Ballet training, SIs, University programs
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mother of student, Studio Office Manager, Adult student

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:22 PM

Nice! I love knowing that Belhaven emphasizes choreography as that is also a passion of my daughters.

#50 Princessroja

Princessroja

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, modern, teaching, choreography
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher, adult ballet student

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:02 PM

Like Dancergirlmelody, I too graduated from Belhaven a few years back and then did some graduate coursework there as well. If anyone has any questions regarding grad or undergrad I'm happy to answer. It's really an excellent program and I can't recommend it highly enough for either a ballet or modern focus (choreography is emphasized too but it's not an official concentration).

Edited by Princessroja, 02 January 2017 - 10:03 PM.

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com