****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

SI Audition Roll Call

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Boydancermom

Boydancermom

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Foreign films, yoga and anything not related to driving my 4 kids everywhere.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a new male dancer

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

I'm not sure if this is OK to post? - but was wondering what SIs your sons are auditioning for 2015?  Our 13 year old son (14 in Jan.) is new to ballet in the last year and would like to take things to the next level with a summer intensive.  I've been working on the audition schedule for January that works around his studio rehersals - not easy!   He is thinking about auditioning for SI's (given what I've learned here!) at:

-  Nutmeg in CT

-  UNCSA - (Classical Ballet) in NC

-  ABT at UNCSA

-  Herid

-  Next Generation Patel

and maybe Central PA (although I can't find their audition schedule anywhere). 

#2 finallykf

finallykf

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Boys and Ballet, Ballet Moms
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Son dances

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

CPYB doesn't audition, you just send in your application/registration form and the required photos and are accepted based upon those.

We just relocated to Tampa this year so our son (just turned 13) could go to Next Generation Ballet year round. It is a great program, Peter Stark is wonderful. It is a great place for boys - they get a lot of them both in the summer and in the year round program which was exactly what my son needed since his previous studio really only had one other boy and no men's program. All of my son's teachers at NGB are great and they compliment each other nicely in terms of teaching styles.

#3 Boydancermom

Boydancermom

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Foreign films, yoga and anything not related to driving my 4 kids everywhere.

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:03 AM

Thanks finallykf.....very informative.  I've read good things about Peter Stark.  Our son's dance instructor went to Herid so he is partial to that program but the studios look great at NGB.  I also like NGB since it's closer to us than Miami... we will see how the auditions go.  Our son is interested to go to a full time residency program in his sophmore year.  (he's in 8th grade right now).  Maybe our boys will dance together someday... thanks so much for the info.

#4 Boydancermom

Boydancermom

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

Hello Moms to Boys,

This is our first year looking at SIs - kind of surprised with the $3,000 to $5,000 price tags for the SIs.  Any idea what % of the boys get full scholarships?  Just trying to set expectations for us and for our ballet son (13 years old).  We've been told that he has talent from several local dance instructors (one went to Herid and the other went to NCSA) - but he's been dancing less than a year (competitive gymnast before that). 

#5 slhogan

slhogan

Gold Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mom of boy dancer

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:07 AM

Scholarships are common for boys.  Your son's situation is a bit different since he is fairly new to ballet, but his situation isn't rare.  A lot of boys start ballet in their teen years and quickly catch up. I'd be willing to bet your son will receive a scholarship offer somewhere, even if it's just a half-tuition scholarship.  

FYI, Ballet Austin and Ballet West are both known for being very generous with male scholarships and accepting male beginners.  

#6 jflyte

jflyte

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Ballet Mom
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of two dance students

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:30 AM

Do try Next Generation Ballet in Tampa,. The scholarship opportunities are very promising for boys.

#7 CeliB

CeliB

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:20 AM

I can only speak from personal experience - DS has had scholarship offers from Kirov, San Fransisco, Ellison and Dutch National. But not from Houston, ABT or Royal Ballet School London. As he has got older the proportion of SIs offering him a scholarships has increased markedly (eg last year all SIs he applied for offered 100%). Not sure if this is because he has got better or because as they get older the boys are rarer and hence more in demand (or both?!). Btw he also didn't start ballet seriously until 13 (and went to vocational school at 14).

#8 Guest_jesse1612_*

Guest_jesse1612_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

my 11-year old son will be auditioning for Joffrey's ballet SI in Denver.

#9 bluemountain

bluemountain

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, ballroom, parent of a boy dancer, parent of a girl dancer
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a boy dancer, parent of a girl dancer

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

DS will be attending BBS Summer Dance program.

#10 Boydancermom

Boydancermom

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the info! Good to know....he is auditioning at ABT (NC) and SAB, Next Generation, Herid, Nutmeg and UNCSA ...trying to keep him on the East Coast for now. Good to know that scholarship $$ goes up as they get older. I would suppose boys who can do overhead lifts are in demand.

#11 tuladancemom

tuladancemom

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:I am a mom to a teenage boy who dances
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent to teen male dancer

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

After much contemplation and some re-working of the option my 15 y/o DS will be auditioning for Ballet Austin, Houston, PNB, San Fran, Washington Ballet, and MCB.  We might add on Ballet West.  We are hopeful for at least a partial scholarship so are casting a wide net at this point.

This will be his first SI away from home but he has attended Ballet Chicago's SI.  Very exciting and very big decision to make!

Good luck to everyone.

#12 dinkalina

dinkalina

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:My kids are dancers.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mom of dancers

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:49 AM

DS (16) will be auditioning for PNB, San Fran, Ballet West, Pittsburgh, and Boston.   We are also throwing in Ballet Arizona unless anyone knows of another company who will be in Chicago on January 10th?   Kansas City is also a possibility since they come to our town.  We have to travel to other states for all of the auditions and tried to pick ones we can bunch together and hit with the most efficiency for both time and money.   Would have liked to audition for Houston, SAB or ABT but the dates/locations just don't work out.  He has previously been to Ballet West for 2 years and went to Milwaukee last year.   This year is go time - he's going to be finished up with school and wants to be hired (fingers crossed).  :helpsmilie:

#13 slhogan

slhogan

Gold Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mom of boy dancer

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

Now that DS (16) is a student at Houston, he is required to attend the Houston SI as well.  He could probably get permission to attend elsewhere, but he feels like he is making great progress this year and doesn't want to interrupt his training over the summer. 

So, no SI auditions this year.  He does, however, plan to go to the Ballet West audition-- not to apply, but to simply take class with BW and keep his relationship with them going. 

#14 tuladancemom

tuladancemom

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:I am a mom to a teenage boy who dances
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent to teen male dancer

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:04 AM

Austin is in Chicago January 10th.  Lou Conte 10:00.

Good luck!

#15 finallykf

finallykf

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Boys and Ballet, Ballet Moms
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Son dances

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

Not that I have a lot of experience, but so far I have determined that trying to figure out the whole scholarship thing is not worth the stress. Last year was the first year my son was old enough to audition for real summer intensives since he was 12. He got full scholarships with housing from Houston and Next Generation Ballet and half tuition from PNB. But then you hear of older, better guys who don't get scholarships to those same places after we were told that kids my son's age wouldn't get scholarships to some of the places he received scholarships from. And sometimes kids get a scholarship someplace one year, improve greatly, and then don't get a scholarship the next year.

Going into summer auditions this year I told my son he is starting all over from scratch - even with the SI's he was accepted to with scholarships, including the one he attended (Houston). Last year was last year. Nothing guarantees he will even be accepted and, as with any audition, you don't know what they are looking for this year. All he can do is his best work in the audition and beyond that it is up to the school to decide if they are going to accept him and who they are going to give scholarships to. I figure getting into a good program is the hurdle, the scholarship is the icing on the cake.

But I hear you on the price of the summer intensives. Although we never count on a scholarship, we do make it clear to our son that we need a scholarship in order for him to attend an SI. For that reason he auditions for many as possible that interest him. I am just very thankful that he is at a year round school now where he gets great male training in case he has to stay for the summer. We would be perfectly comfortable, and would know he was getting a great summer intensive experience, if he stayed at home at Next Generation Ballet for the summer.

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com