****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

SI Audition Roll Call

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#16 finallykf

finallykf

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Boys and Ballet, Ballet Moms
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Son dances

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

My son is auditioning for Houston, Ellison, Ballet West, SAB, PNB, ABT, Miami City Ballet, and sending pictures to CPYB. He is also considering the French Academie of Ballet - he had Francois Perron when he did the ABT YDSW when he was 9 and absolutely LOVED him. He has always wanted to take classes at his studio and his SI is later in August so he could do it after any other SI. However he has taught at Ballet West in the past so if DS gets in there and goes that route I don't know if we would choose to go to New York again since it's so expensive.

#17 tuladancemom

tuladancemom

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:I am a mom to a teenage boy who dances
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent to teen male dancer

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

I find this thread fascinating and appreciate the advice about focusing on doing well in the audition and scholarship (if available) being "icing on the cake". 

My son is also aware that a partial scholarship (at the very least) is needed to go away from home this summer.  We are also encouraging auditioning for quite a few programs--fortuantely we do not have to travel far for auditions as we live in a major audition city (counting our blessings).  DS also enjoys most audition classes and tends not to be overly nervous so I am strongly encouraging him to focus on that and doing well in the audition class rather than the end prize for now.  I'm sure he will land where he is supposed to this summer--it's exciting this phase of "what ifs" and "maybes" (for both DS and for me too).  Come number crunch time for finances to make the final decision may be a bit more stressful but I personally find this part to be easier as a parent.

FYI for those hoping for scholarships Ballet Chicago in past years has provided some scholarship $$--their website discusses male scholarship programs and we were successful in obtaining this in the past.  I do not know if this year will be different for them.

#18 momtoemandel

momtoemandel

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:happiness
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:ballet mom to dd and ds

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:11 PM

My 13 year old is hesitant to do his first round of auditions.  He thinks everyone at the auditions will be very advanced.  We're looking at various schools that are coming to our area, but haven't committed to any auditions yet.  I'd like for him to have the audition experience, even if he doesn't go this year.

#19 MarinMomInTX

MarinMomInTX

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:My family, knitting, cooking, gardening.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of boy dancer

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:25 PM

Good luck to all the boys auditioning! Merde to them all!

#20 GTLS Designs

GTLS Designs

Platinum Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Sewing, Travel, & Art
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet Teacher, Ballet Master, Costumer, & Ex-Professional Ballet Dancer

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:11 AM

Moderator Hat on.  Please remember that this thread was opened to discuss which SI's your male dancers are auditioning for.  Please keep the proper information in the proper threads and move away from scholarship discussions and/or what to wear in audition photos.  I have already had to hide 1 post, and move another, due to posters not staying topic.  Thank you for your assistance in this.

“They did not know it was impossible, so they did it.” ― Mark Twain

#21 slhogan

slhogan

Gold Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mom of boy dancer

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:56 AM

My son is auditioning for Houston, Ellison, Ballet West, SAB, PNB, ABT, Miami City Ballet, and sending pictures to CPYB. He is also considering the French Academie of Ballet - he had Francois Perron when he did the ABT YDSW when he was 9 and absolutely LOVED him. He has always wanted to take classes at his studio and his SI is later in August so he could do it after any other SI. However he has taught at Ballet West in the past so if DS gets in there and goes that route I don't know if we would choose to go to New York again since it's so expensive.

I'm glad you posted this!  I was not familiar with the French Academie of Ballet, so it wasn't even on my radar.  But, after reading your post and seeing that FAB is directed by Perron (who DS loved at Ballet West), I checked out the FAB website and learned that their SI is in August-- after the end of Houston Ballet.  Now my DS(16) is seriously considering auditioning (via video) for FAB and attending the first week or two of the program.  

He was a little bummed out to not be having an "away from home" experience this summer, so a week or two in NYC sounds like a great adventure to him.  Now we just have to figure out if there are any other guys that might want to share housing with him.      

#22 mln

mln

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:classical ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of 17-yr. old boy in ballet

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

Slhogan,

We may look at the French Academie as a late summer option, too.  At this point, it's just an idea.  But if it becomes more than that, I'll let you know.  Our boys know each other from Ballet West last summer, first session.  I doubt that we'd let our son live on his own in NY, though.  I would be looking for supervised options.

In the spirit of the thread,

DS is auditioning for Pittsburgh, Ballet West, Austin and Nutmeg next weekend in DC.

Then, PNB, Boston, and San Fran the following long weekend in Philly and NY.

I have no idea how this year will pan out, since my son is still regaining strength and flexibility after a fall hamstring pull. 

#23 Boydancermom

Boydancermom

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Foreign films, yoga and anything not related to driving my 4 kids everywhere.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a new male dancer

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:42 PM

MomtoEmandel,

Our som got cold feet this morning prior to his first SI Audition. I must admit when we were leaving and he found a hole in his new tights and he told me that i had to sew them and his shoes in the cab I wanted to bail too!

I think the way to view the SI auditions us like a Master Class...just do them to learn and practice. Our son just started this year so he likely wasn't the best but audition classes are great experience and I think he's glad he did it today....(or at least I hope so!).

#24 finallykf

finallykf

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Boys and Ballet, Ballet Moms
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Son dances

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:43 AM

Question about Boston SI for those whose sons have attended before. How strict are they about the age categories? My son would be 13 during the summer (would turn 14 in Oct). I think their Boston Newton program is for kids 14 and younger. DS goes to NGB year round and dances with kids 12-18 eight hours a day during his normal year so we haven't put Boston on our list because he doesn't want to be put in the Newton program which he hears is much less intense than the regular SI. Reviews on the Boston Newton SI board have often said that many of the kids were recreational dancers (these were girls' reviews). Do they ever put 13 year old guys in the older program? He isn't super tall for partnering (hasn't gone through a big growth spurt yet) but he isn't scrawny either. He is 5'5" and weighs about ______ but he is solid muscle with shoulders and chest so he can do some basic lifts. I would say we could have him audition to see what happens but if they are very strict about the age guidelines then it doesn't make sense to take time away from the other kids auditioning.

Edited by dancemaven, 05 January 2015 - 07:54 AM.
Removed weight per BT4D Rules and Policies.

#25 slhogan

slhogan

Gold Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mom of boy dancer

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:09 AM

They're pretty strict about the ages.  My son hasn't gone there, but we researched it a lot and spoke with them on the phone a lot when my son was accepted/scholarshipped into the Newton program at age 14.  

They have multiple levels, and yes-- some of the lower levels are more recreational/commuter oriented.  However, the highest levels appear to be more rigorous.  Also, although the Newton program says 14 and under, they have been known to place 15 year olds at Newton.   

#26 boymom2

boymom2

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of a dancer

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

I'm not sure if this should go here or the SI Intensive board so if it needs to be moved, please feel free to move it.  

I sent a note to the school administrator at Kansas City Ballet today because I couldn't find anything on the program from a boys perspective.  She was very prompt and helpful with answering my questions.  She also mentioned that they do have merit scholarships.  It sounds like a great program for boys.  Here was the information she provided:

The gentlemen have men’s class every day of the program, opposite the ladies taking pointe. They will also have partnering, pas de deux, and men’s variations, along with character, jazz, modern, hip-hop, etc.

Male teachers include:

·         Devon Carney, KCB Artistic Director

·         Anthony Krutzkamp, KCB Second Company Manager

·         Marcus Oatis, School Manager

·         Sean Duus, Senior Faculty

Male Guest Faculty for 2015 include:

·         Tiit Helimets, Principal at San Francisco Ballet, formerly with Estonian National Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet

·         Bruce Wells, noted choreographer and teacher at PNB, Boston Ballet, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, Soloist at NYCB under Balanchine

·         David Justin, professor at UT-Austin, former Principal at Birmingham Royal Ballet and Soloist with San Francisco Ballet and Boston Ballet

In the past we’ve had around five gentlemen stay in the dorm; last year the youngest was 14 and the oldest 18. We also have a male RA who oversees the boys’ floor.

#27 5678Dance

5678Dance

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Parent of male dancer
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

My DS(16) is auditioning for Houston, PNB, SAB, San Fran, and ABT. His first time auditioning for Houston and San Fran and second for the others. Merde to all!

#28 dinkalina

dinkalina

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:My kids are dancers.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mom of dancers

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:40 AM

Last weekend was Sarasota, Milwaukee, and Ballet West.  We actually missed the San Fran audition due to subway delays - I was so upset but DS was cool about it.   PNB was the weekend before, Pittsburg is this weekend with Boston the weekend after..   All good auditions so far and we've already heard from Milwaukee.  I love to see the other boys!   There was a good number at both Milwaukee and Ballet West but only 1 other at Sarasota and 2 others at PNB.  The mom's of girls were wondering why so few boys.   I just shrug my shoulders and assume it is a Midwest problem.  I fingers crossed there are more who turn out in other places.  

#29 jamied

jamied

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mother of a male dancer

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

My son has been doing college auditions for the past few months. He wants to stay home this Summer since he is going away in the Fall, so no SI this year.

#30 Thyme

Thyme

Silver Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Interests:parent of dancing boy and extremely late starting student!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent and adult student

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

Right. Made a decision. 16yo DS is going to LINES session 1. I have had enough with the waiting and wondering about other results. LINES sounds great and it ticks all the boxes. Now I can get back to my normal life!! :clapping:

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com